PDA

View Full Version : Bar tailed Godwit

Rich Steel
11-26-2008, 03:07 AM
Hi

We have had a good sized flock of Bar tailed Godwits, around 600-800 birds, visiting the local beach on neaps tides. I decided yesterday I would have a go for them for the first time. The main hurdle was approaching these birds on an open beach, as they are very nervous at the best of times. So I was down on the beach before sunrise creeping along the base of the sea wall for cover, before making the long belly crawl out to them. I decided I would crawl within 50 yards of them and let the incoming tide do the rest. The plan worked well but what I didn't factor into the occasion was the extent the early morning sun would light up the beach. The upshot was that as the birds came in they were never quite in the sun due to its low angle and the height of the seawall behind me. Mental note was taken that next time I need to be out a bit later the only problem then is you have to contend with the dreaded dogwalkers. An interesting challenge ahead.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k217/squidfish_2006/barwit7.jpg

Taken with 1Dmk3 and 500mm lens on 'Sandpan'. Taken at ISO400 F4 1/800s +0.67EV

Cheers

Rich

Daniel Cadieux
11-26-2008, 07:48 AM
I love this one Rich. I like all the pale colours here, very good feel to this image. Low angle and feeding pose are perfect. I guess the dreaded dogwalker problem is a universal one...

Rene' Villela
11-26-2008, 09:04 AM
Same as Rich I like the kinda pastel tones all around!

Steve Maxson
11-26-2008, 10:40 AM
This image has a very nice "feel" to it, Rich. I too like the cool pastel color tones. The open beak and slightly raised foot add interest to the pose. The OOF foreground is wonderful. Well done.

Juan Aragonés
11-26-2008, 11:15 AM
Really cool image Rich. I like a lot the low angle and the soft light. The foreground reflection is very interesting and the bird´s action adds a lot to the image. Very good composition and love the overall mood of the scene.

Fabs Forns
11-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Wow, the lit background really makes the bird shine. I love the colors and brilliance of this one, Rich :)

Samir Begovic
11-26-2008, 05:33 PM
You guys with these smooth backgrounds make me look those 400 and 500 mm lenses again. Love this realism in color.

Tony Whitehead
11-26-2008, 10:48 PM
Lovely iimage, Rich. You got some lovely light even though it wasn't the light you were looking for. Excellent feather detail and sharpness with lovely soft foreground and BG. The pink of the bill stands out nicely against the monochromatic pastels.

Rich Steel
11-29-2008, 02:22 AM
Thanks for your replies and comments, appreciated as always :)

Cheers

Rich