PDA

View Full Version : Texas Moonrise

ChasMcRae
11-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Moon rising over rim of Canyon of Palo Duro Canyon State Park,Texas. Blasted out detail just to get a little detail in the canyon wall. Probably a good spot for multiple exposures and combination,but happened so fast didn't think of it.
Chas.McRae
MoonRise_2149-PaloDuro.jpg
File size: 190KB
Camera Model: Canon EOS 40D
Camera serial number: 1120719490
Firmware: Adobe Photoshop CS2 Windows
Date/Time: 2008:11:13 20:05:49
Shutter speed: 5 sec
Aperture: 16
Exposure mode: Av
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 400
Lens: 100 to 400mm
Focal length: 180mm
Subject distance: 112 m
Image size: 800 x 612
Rotation: none
White balance: Auto
Color space: AdobeRGB
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Contrast: Normal

Alfred Forns
11-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Good timing Charles !!!

MIght go for more of a crop from the bottom, the strongest part of the image is the moon. Would also try to have stronger mid tones and a few close to Dmax Will re post below Just cropped and slight curves adjustment.

Robert Amoruso
11-25-2008, 10:44 PM
Hi Chuck,

I do not agree with the crop suggest as I like the texture in the lower canyon wall a lot. If anything, I would crop some of the sky out but you are close to a rule of thirds placement right now and I am OK with the comp as is.

Do a curves adjustment and pin the middle and a at least two more spots in the highlights part of the curve. Then in the shadows I pinned the lower quarter tones and pulled the curve down between the 1/4 point and 1/2 point. Curve I used below ramps up midtone contrast just right.

ChasMcRae
11-25-2008, 10:59 PM
Hi Robert,
You didn't post your curves adjustment pic and I'm an image person . Please post your curves adjustment if you have time.
I thought the wall was the most important part of the pic and interesting to see how everyone thinks. I love to see how others see an image. Thanks for comments.

Chas.

Roman Kurywczak
11-26-2008, 04:15 PM
Hi Chas,
I too like the original comp.......as the FG is very nice. I agree with a minor PP adjustment.......as the blue looks a bit more natural in Alfreds re-post. that being said..........if you are not against such things..........go out and take a full moon image on another opportunity..........and insert it into the scene. Not as easy as it sounds..........but it will be closer to what our eye saw at the time........so it is a double exposure after the fact :D.
Either way..........I like the comp as is..........and the PP adjustments will only further strenghten it.

Trey Barron
11-26-2008, 08:07 PM
I like the way this turned out. I am far from a landscape person, but I too would remove just a little of the sky. I have found it difficult to make a new image from here, but you have done it. Being from the area I have seen tons of images from this park and this is the first of its kind I have seen.

ChasMcRae
11-27-2008, 01:51 PM
Thanks for all comments on my experimentation in a lovely area.
Great to see you are looking Trey and your book is on its way.
Chas.