PDA

View Full Version : Wild Yak

Milo Burcham
01-17-2008, 10:20 PM
This image is from my 2002 trip to China's Tibetan Plateau. The image was made at 15,000 feet, and although they may resemble domestic cows, were extremely wary.

Canon F1, 500/4.5 w/ 1.4x, Provia 100 pushed 1 stop

Wild Yak
Qinghai Province, China

Fabs Forns
01-18-2008, 01:25 AM
Beautiful animal, this one is. Love the soft light and background. Wish he was not so centered for a more pleasing composition, but I have the feeling he was carefully placed there :)

Milo Burcham
01-18-2008, 01:29 AM
Fabs, I agree with your comment but for this frame, I thought the centered comp added impact. After posting, I noticed what seemed like MEGA dust specs in the upper background, but then remembered this was film. Those are out of focus yaks in the distance.

Krijn Trimbos
01-18-2008, 07:43 AM
I agree about the centered position, I think vertical would have been the way to go here. There are some dustspots that you might want to get rid of UL, UR. I like the low angle, background colours and the big horns. Nice job

D. Robert Franz
01-18-2008, 09:47 AM
Nice to see a species not often photographed. I agree on the image being centered but it's not all bad. The horns of the yak form a circle which is one of the strongest graphic elements. This really holds the vewers attention. Having the yak centered makes for a static image which is not always bad. No doubt about the point of interest in this image. That being said placing the yak off center with a bit more crop of the dead space might be real nice. A vertical composition for this image is the first thing that came to mind for me but I'm partial to them..

DanWalters
01-19-2008, 04:12 PM
Nice shot. I like the low point of view. I actually like the yak centered since he is staring straight at the viewer.