PDA

View Full Version : Brown Pelican

Mike Wilson
01-17-2008, 09:49 PM
Brown Pelican Pelecanus occidentalis
La Jolla- This morning

First let me say what a great site you have here folks. Really enjoy a website devoted to such high quality photography and image making. Here's a preener from this morning at the cliffs, great light, very few birds.(They were all on the cliffs just to the west all morning) So I worked on head throws and preening behaviors, lots of fun. Cropped this one about 25% and I was also in High Speed Crop mode.
D2x, 300mm f/4 AFS, handheld, 1/2500, f/5.6, ISO 320

Phil Colla
01-17-2008, 09:52 PM
Mike, this one really depicts the red throat and yellow highlights well, looks sharp throughout, and has a beautiful defocused background that people travel so far to get. Only thing to improve might be the eye contact, but that's tough with preeners. Oh, and it would have been better had I been there to join you this morning, but that's just a small nit.

Alfred Forns
01-17-2008, 09:54 PM
What is up with that bird Mike .. needs underarm protection !!!!

Sweet image in every way Mike Love the bold red colors and feather detail Nikon blue bg sure looks good Always has a special look !!!! Would turn the birds head a tad !!! Gorgeous image !!!!

See you in a couple of days Mike !!!!!!

Mike Wilson
01-17-2008, 09:58 PM
Mike, this one really depicts the red throat and yellow highlights well, looks sharp throughout, and has a beautiful defocused background that people travel so far to get. Only thing to improve might be the eye contact, but that's tough with preeners. Oh, and it would have been better had I been there to join you this morning, but that's just a small nit.

See you soon and thanks Phil.

Mike Wilson
01-17-2008, 09:59 PM
What is up with that bird Mike .. needs underarm protection !!!!

Sweet image in every way Mike Love the bold red colors and feather detail Nikon blue bg sure looks good Always has a special look !!!! Would turn the birds head a tad !!! Gorgeous image !!!!

See you in a couple of days Mike !!!!!!

I posted this for you guys on your way, I knew it would get the blood flowing.:D Thanks.

Alfred Forns
01-17-2008, 10:10 PM
Flowing it is Mike !!!! ..... just hope the birds don't get scared away :D:D

Mike Lentz
01-17-2008, 10:22 PM
Nice shot, Mike! I guess I should chime in and agree the only thing wrong is that I wasn't there either. :D But I'm flying in late Saturday afternoon and will be there on Sunday AM and PM and over to Santee in between, hopefully I can meet a few of you guys.

Milo Burcham
01-17-2008, 10:34 PM
Great colors and behavior but some eye contact would really add to it.

Fabs Forns
01-17-2008, 10:36 PM
Hey, my dear Mike, so glad you like the site :)

Beautiful preening pose with great detail in the plumage and breeding colors. Please tell him to hold the pose till Saturday ;)

Mike Wilson
01-17-2008, 10:44 PM
Hey, my dear Mike, so glad you like the site :)

Beautiful preening pose with great detail in the plumage and breeding colors. Please tell him to hold the pose till Saturday ;)

Will do! Have a safe trip.

Linda Robbins
01-18-2008, 08:14 PM
Lovely image Mike. Next week we should be seeing lots more wonderful California Brown Pelican posts! Have a great time!!