View Full Version : in the sun

mikedelaney
11-24-2008, 05:05 AM
canon 40D
sigma 50-500mm
f 6.3
1/800 s.
ISO400

i didn't know what to do about the forground and bg. i just blurred it. anyone know what to do for bg in a case like this??:o

mikedelaney
11-24-2008, 05:08 AM
i'm having trouble uploading, it gives me an error reading then i have to go out and upload it aagain to get results.
my computer has a mind of its own so it may be just my computer but i thought maybe someone knows a better aanswer.

Jackie Schuknecht
11-24-2008, 08:44 AM
Mike you are getting better, I think the bird is a little too centered in the frame and the one branch coming out of his body should come out. Like the seed in his mouth.
Maybe you could select your bird with the magic wand tool, then press Control "I" for inverse and then do a little Gaussian blur on the BG.

Alfred Forns
11-24-2008, 09:36 AM
Sure do Mike !!!! You get low on the ground and it will look just fine !!! Not sure if the bird would give you time :)

When you blur bg or fg Just take it to something the camera could have done, if it goes more than that doesn't look natural. Fine with this one. My biggest suggestion here would be to keep the bird of center as Jackie pointed out. Want more room in the direction the bird is looking and less behind !!! Looks good Mike you got another keeper !!!

SeanKP
11-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Looks good to me Mike. Just move it off centre. Nice one.

Cheers.

Sean

Harold Davis
11-24-2008, 04:50 PM
agree with sean, mike! just get it out of the center and you have another winner!! you're cooking now!!

mikedelaney
11-24-2008, 05:44 PM
thanks guys. you know, i am getting a bit confused...some say get off center, then when i do it with a new picture, ...someone else says center i more. looking at this one i agree it will make it better if i move the bird to the right.

i'm getting confused also because only a little of this is photography and a bunch is ps. i'm going to try giving you a blue jay in a winter scene. the bird is actually on the same turf as this cardinal is on.
what i'm trying to say is ..which should i try for, the shot as is of a ps fabrication. these bg's have become a nightmare to me.

Harold Davis
11-24-2008, 05:49 PM
only thing i was trying to say is next time if the bird is looking right, place the bird in the left side of the frame to give it room to look into on the right. try to get as much right in the camera so you dont have to do so much PS work. makes photography a LOT more fun!!!

hope this helps. not trying to confuse you!!

Gus Cobos
11-24-2008, 06:33 PM
Hey Mike I like this one. I like the blurred background. Agree with our BPN brothers and sisters; you need to off set the bird...:cool:

denise ippolito
11-24-2008, 06:42 PM
Mike, everyone covered the techs- just want to let you know it's a good shot and I see a huge diff. from your first post.Great job!

mikedelaney
11-25-2008, 02:25 AM
thanks every one.