PDA

View Full Version : California Poppy

Aidan Briggs
11-23-2008, 11:04 PM
Poppy form my backyard. Does the green in the corner add or detract?

400D, 60mm macro
1/125, f/3.5, ISO 400

Chris Starbuck
11-24-2008, 01:28 AM
Aidan,
I like your composition; placement of the petal edge & dewdrop is good, and I like the DOF. I don't find the green at LL distracting; it's a very muted color and I think it's somwhat balanced by the darker tone at UR. You might try just a tad more sharpening on the dewdrop - it seems to be right at the edge of the DOF - but go gently; a halo would look bad.

Kaushik Balakumar
11-24-2008, 04:26 AM
Very artistic image. Beautiful one, well seen & captured.
Liked the shallow DOF here accentuating the petal edge & the drop is a bonus.

... Does the green in the corner add or detract?...
IMHO, yes - I find the green in the corner distracting. In fact when I opened the image (before even reading ur question), the first thing that came to my mind was - "wish the bright spot in the LLC was avoided".

That apart, its an absolutely fantastic image.

Julie Kenward
11-24-2008, 08:02 AM
I'm a big fan of another color in the corner as long as it blends with all the others and this certainly does. If you were going to make a huge print of this I'd say crop it but here it works quite nicely. I agree that a bit more sharpening on the one drop would enhance this even more but you did a beautiful job as is. It's very serene and it flows across the image just perfectly.

Aidan Briggs
11-24-2008, 06:45 PM
Thanks all, for the kind comments. I will post another version soon without the green visible.

Ed Vatza
11-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Aiden,

I actually like the green in the corner as I feel it adds a bit of perspective to the image. I also feel that the dewdrop needs to be sharper. Otherwise a very nice image. I like it a lot.

Mike Moats
11-25-2008, 09:41 PM
Hey Aidan, I like soft abstracty images like this. I would lose the green in the corner and crop a little on the left. Very nice.

denise ippolito
11-25-2008, 10:33 PM
Aidan, I like it as presented.The colors are very nice. I like the softness of the image-it's creative

Bob Allen
12-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Hi Aidan. Great image. Can't go wrong with our state flower. I agree with other's comments about losing the green, a bit of cropping from the left, and sharpening the dew drop just a tad.