1/180
f4
210mm
ISO 400
handheld

I can't even believe that i actually took a shot of a flower with that lens:D

Bruce Murden
11-23-2008, 10:23 PM
May as well keep on using that lens. When you don't need macro reproduction (1:1 or close), you get some great limited DOF with the long telephoto. The soft lighting here is great for the flower. I'd like to see it less bulls-eyed in the center of the frame to get it more dynamic. Keep using lenses for things you wouldn't normally expect to. You can get some interesting and great results.

Chris Starbuck
11-24-2008, 01:19 AM
Bee,
I like the softness here with just the center of the flower sharp. Your exposure is good - very difficult to show detail in white flower petals, and you've done well. Bruce is right that placing it off-center would make the composition stronger. Also be careful about having the tip of a petal just touching or almost touching the edge of the frame; better to either give it some space or cut into it significantly. Using a tripod would help you with composing more precisely. As for using the 100-400 for closeups, I've used it with extension tubes, a 500D closeup lens and teleconverters to get to over 2x magnification. Image quality isn't as good as a dedicated macro lens at that extreme, and manual focus is much more difficult, but still usable.

Julie Kenward
11-24-2008, 08:07 AM
Bruce and Chris have it covered! I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more detail in the shadows - not a lot...just a bit more so I can tell something is actually back there. Nice job on exposing the whites!

Ed Vatza
11-24-2008, 06:51 PM
I agree with the above but just want to jump in with a suggestion. Have you ever considered adding something like the Canon 500D close-up lens? I have one that I have used at times with my 70-200 f/2.8 and even my 400mm f/5.6. I think it works well and don't hesitate to use it if I left my macro bag at home.

Bee Emily
11-24-2008, 06:56 PM
Ed,
Thanks for the tip on the lens stuff. I am very new to all this photography stuff and can't really afford much in the way of equipment. I feel very lucky to have a "hand-me-down" 20d and 100-400mm lens.

Ed Vatza
11-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Ed,
Thanks for the tip on the lens stuff. I am very new to all this photography stuff and can't really afford much in the way of equipment. I feel very lucky to have a "hand-me-down" 20d and 100-400mm lens.

Understood. Just so you understand, the 500D is more like a filter than a lens. It attaches to the front of a lens (like the 100-400) and helps to get closer close-ups. And depending on filter size, it costs about $100 -$150. You are certainly doing fine without it. I just thought it might be something you could find interesting.

Mike Moats
11-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Hey Bee, agree with other posts about the bulls-eyed look. Nice soft lighting and for me I would like a little more DOF.