PDA

View Full Version : Belted Kingfisher (female)

Mark Schmitt
11-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Close aproaches to this bird is not easy if not using a hide. Just fortunate that this female making predictable rounds to various perches throughout there teritory. Just best to pick one of her perches and then quietly wait her return. Self critique: would like to have a little more head turn for eye contact; several layers were created to soften and blur the BG, it was full of distracting foiliage: whites in the neck band might be a little blown.

Conditions: Winter / cool

EXIF
Camera: Canon 20D
Lense: Canon EF 500 IS L + 1.4 T/C; effective focal length 700 mm
Mode: Apeture priority
Metering: Pattern
Exposure: 1/320 @ f 6.3; exposure comp. +.33
ISO: custom 200K
monopod

Juan Aragonés
11-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Hi Mark, I checked the histogram of the image in PS and the whites are OK (no clipping). i like the pose of the bird with the ruffled feathers and the head turn is not the best but works for me. I am not sure about the composition and would like to see what others say about that. I have tried different croppings, both vertical and landscape, but I have been unable to find a good suggestion. The bird is facing to the right but the head is toward the left and that is not the best pose for a good composition. Maybe the best solution is a vertical composition.

Alfred Forns
11-23-2008, 02:47 PM
I like it Mark Agree with your assessments and would also like seeing the bird more to the bottom and right. Would clean some of the perch and they usually look more attractive by the corners !!! btw whites look fine on my monitor Excellent capture !!!

Bee Emily
11-23-2008, 04:46 PM
I have tried and tried to get a decent shot of these little buggers. Good capture. I find the dark area (in the BG) above and to the right behind the head distracting. I like the eye catchlight too!
Great shot! I am jealous

Stu Bowie
11-24-2008, 01:19 AM
I would have maybe done a portrait crop here, as she is posing nicely. The whites look fine to me, and what a killer BG. Well captured Mark.

Ramon M. Casares
11-24-2008, 02:25 PM
Nice compo but IMO a little more room to the left could help, a better head turn (more profile would've been better but I like it as presented! Congratulations!