PDA

View Full Version : Nanny & Kid

Steve Wheeler
11-23-2008, 11:19 AM
Here's another from my trip to CO. and Mt. Evans. It's full frame width wise with bits off the top & bottom. What I like... Focus on nanny, her head angle & eye contact. I like the fact that you can see the previous seasons' winter coat as well. (Seriously heavy wool.) I like the little one resting with her too.

What I don't like... The little one is soft... Tried stopping down as much as I thought I could at the time... Probably could've gone further. Also wish this could have been in nicer light but hey... I felt and still feel extremely fortunate to get what I got.

Your thoughts and comments always welcome.

Steve

40D & 500 f4.5 L on a tripod this time, ISO 400, f11 @ 1/1000

Sabyasachi Patra
11-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Steve,
Its always a challenge to include both especially since they are in different planes. In this case, the coat of the kid is much brighter. I agree that you could have further stopped down your lens, as you were using a tripod. The f11 has given you lot of details in the image.

I would crop from the right to exclude the shadow at the bottom right. And I would also crop from the left just a bit to remove the hint of that rear leg. I like the way the kid displays its splayed feet. Thanks for sharing. Look forward to more.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Alfred Forns
11-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Hi Steve Glad you got both !!!!

Agree with comments. I like the careful framing and obtaining similar poses !! Glad you made it using a tripod !!!

Robert Amoruso
11-23-2008, 08:26 PM
The high contrast works for me here - just seems right for a high-altitude look.
I would suggest a selective sharpening of both animals as the adult is soft. I did some sharpening and the rocks looked over-done but the goats looked great.
Agree with Sabyasachi's left crop but not the right. A crop there would make the face too tight to the frame edge.

Steve Canuel
11-25-2008, 12:02 AM
I like the look of the PP on this shot. Interesting to note the spread hoof on the kid. Was he stretching?

Steve Wheeler
11-25-2008, 03:07 PM
I'm going to have to work on sharpening the images I upload. I'm not sharpening after the jpg has been cut and I guess that's the problem.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.... I'm runnin' around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to get ready to leave for Bosque in the morning.

Steve... I remember noticing the kidds' splayed hooves at the time. I don't think he was stretching or anything if I recall. Perhaps he's gotten hurt or maybe he was stretching and I didn't notice. I wasn't thinking very straight at the time.

Thank you all again.... Will try a new crop when I get back.

Steve