PDA

View Full Version : A Symbol of Friendship

Ed Vatza
11-22-2008, 08:33 PM
According to various websites, yellow roses are a symbol of friendship. This is actually a yellow miniature rose from a plant that we purchased this morning. When I saw the yellow flowers blooming, I knew I wanted to take it home and try to shoot it.

I set this up on our dining room table and used the natural light from the surrounding windows and skylights. I shot this flower at everything from f/3.2 to f/22 and am having a very difficult time deciding whether I prefer stopped down at f/22 or opened up at f/3.2 or 5.6. Unless I change my mind in the next minute or two, I will be going with the f/22 version. This is, by the way, a 1:1 macro image.

Canon 30D: Sigma 70mm Macro lens; Velbon Ultra Luxis tripod.

8.0 sec @ f/22; ISO 100; +1 EV; Shade WB

Julie Kenward
11-23-2008, 09:36 AM
Unbelievable lighting here, Ed. It almost looks like some of the petals are floating. The yellows are dead on and the detail is beautiful. I am sure you made the right choice although I wouldn't mind seeing the shallow version also.

Only thing that might make it even better from a perfectionist standpoint would be to clone out the tiny brown dots that appear here and there. I can't tell if they are very small camera dust bunnies or a very small discoloration on the rose itself.

This truly is stunning.

Chris Starbuck
11-24-2008, 01:37 AM
Ed,
I like the central placement - it works well with highly symmetrical subjects like this - emphasizes the symmetry. And the lighting is perfect - makes the rose glow. I usually opt for maximum DOF in rose closeups too, but the opposite extreme can work as well. Jules has mentioned the dark specs.

Ed Vatza
11-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Thanks Jules. Thanks Chris. Appreciate the feedback and glad that you both like the image.

The brownish spots aren't dust bunnies on the sensor but rather some spots on the petals as well as a few flecks of dust on the petals. I could easily clone them out and will when I do a large print of this image.

Here is the image at f/3.2 for comparison.

Bruce Murden
11-24-2008, 08:10 PM
Ed, Thanks for the comparison. Julie & Chris covered the points - it's wonderfully lit, composed, and saturated.

I'm going to split the difference on DOF and say a little more DOF for the wider open view would be a good way to go. f/3.2 is a little softer than I like for such a subject. I really dig the f/22 version, and think the softer end may be better around f/8, if you so, with a little more of the center in focus. But it's really a matter of taste, and how moody you want.

Nice job working the subject to give yourself options!

Julie Kenward
11-24-2008, 08:57 PM
Oh, I totally agree with Bruce. The f22 version is way better - you get all the ethereal qualities of the f3.2 without all the loss of sharpness and depth.