PDA

View Full Version : Evening Grossbeak

Glenn Romain
11-22-2008, 07:33 PM
Well its a really slow time of year here ,every little pond is frozen and all thats left are a few late geese.So i tough i would post something from last November.

CC is always welcome.

D50
1/80 sec
F 5.6
300mm
ISO 200

denise ippolito
11-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Glenn, you have a nice HA and sharp detaili I've never had the opp. to shoot one of these -he looks beautiful!

Gus Cobos
11-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Hi Glenn,
I like the composition and capture. You have sharp details with good color rendition I like the way the perch naturally frames the bird. The things that distracts and takes attention from the main subject is the white lens flares, the black triangular blotch and the yellow spot behind the branch...you can tone these down, blur them or liquefy it...looking forward to your next composition...:cool:

Katie Rupp
11-23-2008, 12:38 AM
Beautiful bird and nice capture, Glenn. I like Gus's suggestion for enhancing the BG.

Jackie Schuknecht
11-23-2008, 08:57 AM
Beautiful bird Glenn, agree with Gus' comments about the BG. Like the way you have it framed.

Julie Kenward
11-23-2008, 09:20 AM
Glenn, beautiful grosbeak! I have to agree with Gus that the BG is a bit distracting. The colors are very nice but they are definitely competing with the colors in the bird so I used the clone tool to smooth and lighten them out. I also did a different crop to showcase more of the bird and less of the branch.

I also toned down the whites on your bird's head, back and wings. I used the clone tool set at 40% opacity and "darken" and went over the white areas with an area that was in the same color range. For the wings I selected the white areas and lowered the middle tones with the levels adjustment just a bit.

Glenn Romain
11-23-2008, 10:21 AM
Thanks guys i totally agree with you Gus and Julie you did a great job . Thank you :)

Gail Spitler
11-23-2008, 10:33 AM
I find the bird's position very appealing, interesting, typical of Evening Grosbeaks and original. Well done.
Agree with the comments above and like Julie's re-post.
Cheers
Gail

Alfred Forns
11-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Hi Glenn Lovely image I like the tighter version since has the bird larger in frame. Is this much of a crop? Love the pose and look !!!!

Glenn Romain
11-23-2008, 06:11 PM
Thanks Gail , Alfred if i remember right i did not crop this very much as it was shot at 300mm from about 25 feet more or less. I remember it being the first time i was able to approach this guys . I have a shot of a female that i will dig up and post L8tr. Thanks for the CC everyone :)