PDA

View Full Version : Pensive Stork

Judy Hogan
11-22-2008, 04:00 PM
The light was good when I took this shot. Also I was able to get close enough to take this at about 160mm (at which my 80-400 lens is much better). I took out some small floating debris to clear the water. The settings were f11, ISO 100, all else auto. I lightened a tad to bring out detail on the head. The thing I don't like is the storks eyes never show up well. They just look like holes in their heads! Help and critique please. Thanks Judy

PS I LOVE this site!

Lance Peters
11-22-2008, 05:25 PM
Hi Judy - Well done - love the pose and the exposure looks good - Soft light is the key with twhite and black birds.
Looks atad soft for my tastes - you could try a little S/H on the eye and then add some sharpening - fill flash would be the other solution.

Sharpened and lightened the eye a tad. (Working from a laptop with a tiny screen - sharpening may be too much but you get the idea) Hope you didn't mind

:)

Nonda Surratt
11-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Great pose Judy! Water is petty cool too. Agree with Lance on the rest.

Nice re-post Lance, very nice

denise ippolito
11-22-2008, 06:17 PM
Judy, really nice colors and a perfect pose. I think Lance is right about the blacks- you sure managed a lovely shot !

Judy Hogan
11-22-2008, 06:51 PM
I don't mind at all Lance. Thank you for your comments. To be able to see the results is great. I know I should use fill flash. Many times it is the only way to get light in the eye. Unfortunately I am the type that gets caught up in the capture and forget to check settings and such. Like my camera should do absolutely everything for me! I have to learn to get it right in camera and not try to fix it on the computer.
Thanks again, Judy

Gus Cobos
11-22-2008, 09:40 PM
Great capture, composition and pose Judy.
I like the raised wing position...great repost by Lance...:cool:

SeanKP
11-23-2008, 05:18 AM
I agree 100% with Gus.

Cheers.

Sean

Harold Davis
11-23-2008, 07:49 AM
hi judy!!! good to see you here. we met on canoe creek rd one morning. remember the barbed wire fence and the eagle while looking out for the bull!!

love the image and lance's repost!!

Jackie Schuknecht
11-23-2008, 08:48 AM
Nice capture Judy. The water is so clear and I love the reflection. Might just lighten the head area and the black on the wings. Very pretty!

Julie Kenward
11-23-2008, 09:29 AM
I agree with Lance and Jackie - the blacks need to come up just a bit and Lance's solution for the eye is a good one. Overall, you got a beautiful image here...it just needs a few tweaks.

Alfred Forns
11-23-2008, 02:17 PM
HI Judy Love the bird and pose !!! Brought big smile to my face You got a keeper !!!!

Agree on blacks needing a little punch and one easy way of doing is through selective color. Go to image>adjust>selective color bump up the neutral and black two or three points. Works well !!! Looking forward to more !!!