PDA

View Full Version : Don't Tread On Me!

Doug Campbell
01-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Nikon D200, 80-200 AF D. Captured on the Weaver Ranch in south Texas.

Linda Robbins
01-17-2008, 09:11 PM
I'd be using a 600mm with stacked teleconverters...from a vehicle! He doesn't look all that happy to be your subject. The pose of the snake is very nice, the open mouth is a plus, and the cactus flower adds a nice bit of color. It would have been good to get him out of the center of the frame somewhat. A lower perspective would have been desirable, but probably not feasible in this situation!

Jesse Ivan
01-17-2008, 10:08 PM
Good shot. I agree that he does not look happy about being your subject. A lower angle would make a stronger composition, just make sure to keep at least half of the snakes body length between you and him, as a general rule of thumb a snake can only strike half of his body distance. Add a few more inches or feet just to be safe. This is also a very strong defensive posture and he is telling you he is very upset, so back away slowly.

Doug Campbell
01-18-2008, 12:43 AM
I had an experienced handler watching the snake the whole time. Much like birds, you need to be aware of their behavior. As long as they are coiled up and the rattle is buzzing, they tend to stay put. When the rattle stops it's time to be ready to move out of the way (quickly). I would have loved to have gotten the lower perspective but my poor, aching back won't permit it.

Milo Burcham
01-18-2008, 01:19 AM
It would be nice to see this presented a little larger. Great pose and inclusion of habitat, but as presented, I wish it was a little tighter. I often think that Alaska would be the perfect place if it had snakes!

D. Robert Franz
01-18-2008, 09:11 AM
As mentioned above you can size your image to 800px. A tighter crop and lower angle (get right the ground if possible) would really make this image sing.. Sorry I just read about your back problems. In that case a longer lens from a further distance would give the perception of a lower angle. I like my 500mm for rattlesnake photography..

Doug Campbell
01-18-2008, 10:48 AM
I considered using my 500 but I wanted as much DOF as possible.

Bob Glotzhober
01-18-2008, 11:15 AM
I agree -- great composition with the yellow flower and cactus. Yes - a lower angle would be good - but how fast can move if you are laying on your belly! I'd try that only with a good tele and a friend to watch and warn you (your perspective of real distance while peering through a camera lens is less than satisfactory in potentially dangerous situations).

As to striking only half the distance -- yes I agree with that statement, sort-of. I have it on good authority that at times, if they are backed up against a solid object like a rock wall (not sure how solid the cactus is), they may be able to strike 2/3rds of their length. Still not very far in reality - but you don't want to under-calculate your safety range!

D. Robert Franz
01-18-2008, 11:21 AM
I considered using my 500 but I wanted as much DOF as possible.

FYI Doug, DOF is equivilant on any lens regardless of focal length at the same magnification. Thus if you framed the snake the same size/magnification with a 500mm as you did your 200mm or even a 50mm DOF would be identical. This concept is often misunderstood...

Ed Cordes
01-18-2008, 10:41 PM
Really cool snake image. The flower sets it off with just the right amount of color. I wish the head had a bit more definition. I am not sure if larger magnification would have accomplished that. Perhaps if you stepped to the side a bit the perspective would have defined the head more?