11-22-2008, 12:12 PM
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/erding/Landscape/IMG_2509-Edit-Edit.jpg

Canon 5D, Canon 35 f/1.4, ISO 400, f/11, 1/100, 0 EV, handehld

C&C Welcome

Thanks for looking

Roman Kurywczak
11-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Hey Tom,
Very nice mood and comp on this. You used the curve of the shoreline very well and it leads you into the distant fog covered land mass very well. I don't mind the corner rock that much.....as in these cases, with so many rocks, you have to choose a spot to crop.....and IMO it almost acts to push my eye into the shoreline even more......instead of pulling it away. I may lighten it a bit overall.......but I do like this as presented also. Nicely done.

Chris Starbuck
11-22-2008, 01:54 PM
Tom,
I also like this; composition & mood are great. For web presentation, or elsewhere if it will be surrounded by white (as it is here in the forum), I would agree with Roman about lightening it a little, as the surrounding white makes it look rather dark. OTOH, for a print I might leave the tonality as is and use a black mat to make the image stand out more.

Tom Dolezal
11-22-2008, 02:15 PM
Hey Tom,
Very nice mood and comp on this. You used the curve of the shoreline very well and it leads you into the distant fog covered land mass very well. I don't mind the corner rock that much.....as in these cases, with so many rocks, you have to choose a spot to crop.....and IMO it almost acts to push my eye into the shoreline even more......instead of pulling it away. I may lighten it a bit overall.......but I do like this as presented also. Nicely done.

Many thanks Roman for your kind comments which are very much valued and appreciated.

I'm not so sure about lightening the image - one of the edits I did was along those lines and I felt a lot of the atmosphere had gone. For me that atmosphere is the image.

Tom

Tom Dolezal
11-22-2008, 02:17 PM
Tom,
I also like this; composition & mood are great. For web presentation, or elsewhere if it will be surrounded by white (as it is here in the forum), I would agree with Roman about lightening it a little, as the surrounding white makes it look rather dark. OTOH, for a print I might leave the tonality as is and use a black mat to make the image stand out more.

Many thanks Chris for your valued comments which are very much appreciated.

I take your point re web presentation and like your suggestion of a black frame to bring out the image

Tom

Robert Amoruso
11-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Tom,

I too like it and feel the comp works well for the reasons Roman mentioned.

Hazel Grant
11-23-2008, 05:38 PM
I agree that if you lighten it, you'd lose the misty feeling you want. Using a black matt, as suggested, would be the way to go.. A white one would swallow the phot and a dark brown would be overkill in the tonality. Great photo. I like the sharpness of the rocks in the foreground. Sets up the mist of the other areas. Was this in Scotland?

Tom Dolezal
11-23-2008, 11:14 PM
Tom,

I too like it and feel the comp works well for the reasons Roman mentioned.

Thank you Robert for your kind comments which are very much valued and appreciated.

Tom

Tom Dolezal
11-23-2008, 11:16 PM
I agree that if you lighten it, you'd lose the misty feeling you want. Using a black matt, as suggested, would be the way to go.. A white one would swallow the phot and a dark brown would be overkill in the tonality. Great photo. I like the sharpness of the rocks in the foreground. Sets up the mist of the other areas. Was this in Scotland?

Many thanks Hazel for your valued comments which are very much appreciated.

Yes this is Scotland - Loch Affric is near Inverness on the North East coast

Tom

Sabyasachi Patra
11-24-2008, 02:46 AM
Tom,
The composition caught my eye when I was glancing through the thumbnails, I like it. Tried several crop versions, but felt this is better as I was interfering with the shoreline. I ended up darkening a bit and still liking it. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Tom Dolezal
11-24-2008, 11:45 PM
Tom,
The composition caught my eye when I was glancing through the thumbnails, I like it. Tried several crop versions, but felt this is better as I was interfering with the shoreline. I ended up darkening a bit and still liking it. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Many thanks Sabyasachi for taking the time to comment which is very much apprciated. I haven't actually tried darkening this image but I had done a variation which I am not 100% sure of:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/erding/Landscape/IMG_2509-Edit-Edit-2.jpg

Tom