PDA

View Full Version : Ringed Kingfisher - Extended Range?

Paul Wolf
11-22-2008, 10:32 AM
I shot this on November 11, 2008, 10:37 AM, CST. It was at the southeastern boundary of Garner State Park, Concan, Texas on the eastern shore of the Frio River. I know there are at least two individuals because I have another shot of two of them on the same perch. I suspect there are others because I saw and heard these all day long for several days, although I spotted them primarily in the mornings. I would like to know the sex of this individual as well as if these have been spotted this far north before.

Thanks,
Paul

John Chardine
11-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Paul- I have only seen this species in southern Patagonia. Sibley has dots on his distribution map for the species in Texas. Not sure how far north you are and whether your observation is an extension north of existing records for the state. You may want to communicate the record to state rare bird committee and see what they think.

This looks like a male, perhaps young, because it has the reddish extending up to the white chin. Females show a wide band of blue fringed with white below the white chin.

Paul Wolf
11-23-2008, 07:12 AM
John:
Thank you for your help. I did as you suggested and sent the proper form to the Texas Ornithological Society. I believe my record is within the range of rare occurences, but I thought it might be helpful to report it anyway. Heck, if nothing else, maybe they can use my pictures of it. There aren't any of that kingfisher on their site.

By the way, you've got some great shots in your pbase portfolio! I particularly enjoyed your shots of Crete, though. My wife and I spent three great years on that island in the early '70s. Crete sparked my interest in photography, as a matter of fact. Incredible place, wonderful people.

Thanks, again.
Paul

Matthew Pontiff
11-23-2008, 09:37 AM
I'd say that's pretty far north for them. There is one record for Louisiana in Shreveport, which is almost to Arkansas.

Matt

Paul Lagasi
11-24-2008, 05:41 AM
I've seen a few along the Rio Grande on my last trip to Texas near Mission and McAllen, didn't see any or hear of any reports while I was in Cancon. Cancon only about 65 miles from Rio Grande so not impossible... with birds anything is possible...
I chased a Lazuli Bunting. all around Arizona. without getting a picture, then came home and had one in my neighbourhood in Ottawa near the Quebec border.
When food is scarce or competition is fierce anything can happen.