PDA

View Full Version : Perito Moreno Glacier

Jackie Schuknecht
11-22-2008, 08:25 AM
Taken in January of this year in Argentina.
I originally posted it in ETL, but have reworked it after reading the thread here on colour balancing, which I tried. Also did a white point and black point in curves.
I tried to bring out the textures and colours in the ice, but I don't know if it works as a stand alone image. The glacier is about 200 feet high, above the water.
Taken from a boat.
20D
ISO 400
17-55 @55
HH
cropped a little from top and bottom
0EV
Polarizer
Comments would be appreciated.

Roman Kurywczak
11-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Hi Jackie,
I think it does stand on it's own. The textures of the ice were brought out very well and the curves in it make very nice pleasing lines. I may add a bit of the base water back in.........but it may add more distracting bergs...which you could clone out if you so choose.

Chris Starbuck
11-22-2008, 02:04 PM
Jackie,
I also think it works very well. I like the horizontal bands of color, each with a different texture, contrasting with the mostly vertical patterns in the upper part of the ice. I think I agree with Roman that adding back just a little more of the green water would add to the overall balance. But that's your call.

Robert Amoruso
11-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Jackie,

I think this works well and you did great bringing out the details in the berg. Agree that more water would strengthen the image. i did notice a pronounced dark halo along the berg and sky - probably an artifact from the processing. If it due to sharpening, do a selection on the sky, invert it, refine edges by contracting the selection so the edge of the berg is not sharpened, feather it 1/2 the amount of the contraction and then sharpen the berg.

Jackie Schuknecht
11-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Robert, I was wondering about the edge, I used PK superfine edge sharpener for 800 pixels, thought it produced a line will have to go back and adjust. Thank you all for taking the time to critique!