PDA

View Full Version : Another Little Pied

Tony Whitehead
11-21-2008, 10:44 PM
This image from last evening in the last light of the day. I would prefer if the near wing were a little higher in it's stroke to reveal more detail below it but like the determined look on it's face. Not sure about the brown/green OOF lake shore above the OOF water but it echoes the warm light reflecting off the damp feathers.
D300
200-400 @ 400mm
1/640s f4 ISO 800
Matrix +2/3 EV
full frame, handheld
Comments and advice appreciated as always.

Alfred Forns
11-21-2008, 11:05 PM
I'm fine with the bg Tony and do like the determined look Also wish for the slightly wing position but love the overall feel and sweet Nikon blue bg Its always unique !!!

Stu Bowie
11-22-2008, 04:02 AM
The BG doesnt bother me, as the green adds a bit more colour. As you probably know these are similar to our white breasted cormorants over here, but ours have more white over the chest area. I like the flying posture captured, and the light shows up lovely detail on the outer wing. Well captured Tony.

Tony Whitehead
11-22-2008, 04:54 AM
The BG doesnt bother me, as the green adds a bit more colour. As you probably know these are similar to our white breasted cormorants over here, but ours have more white over the chest area. I like the flying posture captured, and the light shows up lovely detail on the outer wing. Well captured Tony.
Hi Stuart. These Little Comorants look similar to the White-breasted but are far smaller (56 as opposed to 80-100cm). They also have a lot of variability in plumage, from the one here with just the white throat, through a variegated black and white breast to a full white breast and underparts like a juvenile White-breasted. We also have a Little Black which is similar to the Reed Cormorant with a green eye but no yellow skin, and a Black which is similar in Size to the White-fronted but only has white cheeks - those are just the inland ones! In NZ they are know as Shags - so this is a Little Shag (Phalacrocorax melanoleucos) - in Australia the same species in known as Little Pied Cormorant. Same genus as the White-fronted and Reed.