PDA

View Full Version : (Christmas) Cactus Flower #2 - The Day After

Ed Vatza
11-21-2008, 08:03 PM
Yesterday I presented an image of this cactus flower as it was beginning to open. Today I present the fully opened Christmas Cactus Flower.

Same set-up (Canon 30D; Sigma 70mm macro lens; handheld) but very different light. Yesterday's image took advantage of natural light streaming in the windows. This evening's image used incandescent lighting from a single bulb adding front light as well as overhead lighting.

1/20 sec @ f/8; ISO 800; +2/3 EV; Incandescent WB

Julie Kenward
11-22-2008, 06:00 PM
Ed, I like this one as well but want to turn it upside down in the worst way! I know it's just me but it looks funny hanging down and having the petals curl back up.

I also wish I could see the stem and leaf just a bit better. The detail seems to be missing in both. Overall, I like the image. You've caught the beauty of the flower and brought it to life.

Ed Vatza
11-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Thanks Julie. Appreciate the comments. I was beginning to wonder if anyone was out there. :)

Don't know if you are familiar with Christmas Cactus flowers but this is the way they open. My wife has several of them and they all open like this (upside down). I see what you mean about the leaf. I was concentrating on having the flower look good and didn't pay as much attention to the little bit of leaf. That said, the leaf isn't in the same plane as the flower so detail is lost because it is oof.