PDA

View Full Version : Village Weaver

Jeni Williams
11-21-2008, 08:51 AM
Weather has been lousy for about a month now - either rainy or overcast!!
Canon EOS 1Dmk11
focal length 600mm
f/8 (only because I can't go lower ...2x extender)
exp time 1/500sec
ISO 400
upped the exp in ACR, added contrast and clarity. In PS selected eyes then lightened and sharpened.
Selected bg and tried the exp + and gamma -, resized then did a sharp sharpen settings 65 radius 0.2.

If I use flash, what mode and settings should I use? Also I presume preferably off-camera?

Thanks.

Jackie Schuknecht
11-21-2008, 10:36 AM
Nice framing Jeni. I think for fill flash off camera is usually set to around -2. You could experiment.

Jeni Williams
11-21-2008, 10:41 AM
Thanks Jackie, but what mode? Manual? Also if manual how do I control exp? I read one is supposed to synchronize camera and flash exp -i.e if +1 on camera then -1 on flash but the manual doesn't make sense on where and how to set it.:o

Alfred Forns
11-21-2008, 10:46 AM
Hi Jenny do try the flash Will help for most !!!

Mounting you should get a flash bracket. If you are using a Wimberly it mounts right on the head. Setting wise use ETTL and try to stay within a reasonable shutter speed. Your sync speed is 320 for full power output if you double the shutter speed to 640 the flash output will be 1/2 and going to 1250 .... will give you very little output.

Setting wise your flash is giving you a -1 if you do nothing, basically set for fill flash. Normally I used to start at -1 which works out to the Jackie is talking about. During the day with strong light I like lots of power to fill shadows but with soft late in the day light -2 and sometimes -3.

One trick you can do is set it to -1 and do three quick exposures. The first will be full output (whatever you set), the second somewhat less since it will fire but the capacitor was not fully charged and the third will be with no flash since it did not have time to recycle. Look at this results and then decide the amount needed for others. Best way to learn flash !!!

Jeni Williams
11-21-2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks Al. In other words I must set the flash to ETTL and the camera on shutter priority (tv) ss about 640?
I'm sorry I've tried reading up but just can't figure out how to set to the - 1 and -2 you are talking about . Is that exp?
I thought max ss one could use with flash is 1/160sec?. Sorry to be so dumb!!
I'm trying for late afternoon in overcast conditions.
I have a flash bracket and remote cable.

Gus Cobos
11-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Hi Jeni,
I like the composition...the facial expression on the bird is priceless...very good advice given by Mr. Forns...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

denise ippolito
11-21-2008, 03:12 PM
Jeni, nice perch, Bg and HA- hope you get your flash thing figured out