PDA

View Full Version : Herring Gull with Dinner

Jason Ambler
11-21-2008, 01:04 AM
A Herring Gull picked a crab right out of the water in front of me and flew with it to the nearby shore. The gull upon reaching land set the crab down and proceeded to revel in its catch calling out and throwing its head high into the air. The crab would have none of it. The crab with claws agape reversed itself right back into the water from whence it came leaving the gull searching for its lunch.

Body: 1DMKIII
Lens: 500mm f4 IS and 1.4x tc
Aperture: f10
Exposure: 1/1000
ISO: 400

C&C always welcomed and appreciated,
Jason

Ramon M. Casares
11-21-2008, 06:23 AM
Very nice moment! Great timing and wonderfull detail and eye contact, I think, IMO, that the wing position is not the best and the crop feels a bit tight to my taste. Congratulaitons!

Fabs Forns
11-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Good catch for both :) Agree with Ramon comments, if you have more canvas, especailly in front of the bird.

Tony Whitehead
11-21-2008, 01:45 PM
Great timing to catch this. Focus looks sharp on the gull's head but ?significant crop as some detail loss. Love the water splash and drops falling from the crab. I don't mind the crop as presented but a tiny bit more on the left would be nice. Sorry the gull didn't get a crab dinner for his efforts but glad the crab escaped!