PDA

View Full Version : Northern Bobwhite

Terry Sohl
11-20-2008, 12:48 AM
Better lucky than good...a statement that certainly fits well at times. I certainly wasn't expecting this guy, especially sitting relatively out in the open. We're pretty much at the extreme northern end of their range here, and I've never seen one in South Dakota (although I've heard them twice).

Canon 40D, 400 5.6L, ISO100, 1/400, f6.3, no flash.

Tony Whitehead
11-20-2008, 02:25 AM
Lovely, Terry. The light is harsh and the BG a bit busy but you have a nice sharp shot of what sounds like a rarity for your location. Beautiful feather patterns.

Axel Hildebrandt
11-20-2008, 08:09 AM
Great find, details and angle. I find the blade of grass covering part of the back a bit distracting and the head is slightly angled away from you. Could you have moved a bit to your left?

Grace Scalzo
11-20-2008, 09:19 AM
The longer I look at this image, the more I like it. The feather detail from his eye stripe cascading down his neck is fine, as are your colors. That little blade of grass by his tail doesn't bother me in the least. It's hard to get real clean backgrounds on wild N. Bobwhites, because they rarely stray far from the edge of their habitat. I'd tone down the yellow leaf a bit so that the bg is more uniform. As for the head angle, you have a nice side view with good detail in his eye and a nice catchlight. I would be happy to have this in my collection.

Daniel Cadieux
11-20-2008, 12:18 PM
Good job with the harsh light conditions (intensity and angle). I don't mind the blade of grass, but agree on the yellow leaf and angled-away head turn.

Stu Bowie
11-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Lovely low angle, and I like the colours and detail on this guy. Well captured Terry.