PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Coast

Mike Fuhr
11-19-2008, 10:54 PM
While traveling to Oregon for a meeting, I took an afternoon to drive the coast because I had never been there before. It was a dreary day, but we stopped a few places to take pictures. I like the composition of this one -- I added the sepia-type coloring to it and it actually grew on me. I'm interested in your thoughts/comments. Thanks.

Nikon D50
18-55mm
F/4
1/800
ISO 200

Dave Mills
11-20-2008, 12:08 AM
Interesting subject with a nice feel to it. I would crop out about half the sky due to its lack of interest.

Alfred Forns
11-20-2008, 01:48 PM
HI Mike .................. or crop the bottom and show more up top !!! Would process a little different but the sepia works for me. Basically would like more tonal range and seeing the tree sharper. Only cropped and added canvas.

Dave Mills
11-20-2008, 02:04 PM
If you add more of an uninteresting and bland top you are in essence taking away from the strength of your center of interest. I agree with cropping a bit off the bottom.

Roman Kurywczak
11-20-2008, 04:23 PM
Hi Mike,
I think working on the sky and doing a highlight recovery........or a multiplied layer on it........should bring out more of the tonal range. I do like the crop off the bottom.......as the smaller rocks were pretty distracting.

Robert Amoruso
11-21-2008, 08:56 AM
I do like the crop suggestion. I did a repost Mike. I used the Strong Contrast curve preset in PSCS3 as a starting point and then tweaked that around. Next a Shadows/Highlights Adjustment - Shadows slider to bring up the cliff and Highlights slider to increase tonal separation in the clouds.

I think this would be a good B&W subject.

Not sure where the artifacts in the sky came from. Not anything I did. Just showed up with the curves adjustment.

Mike Fuhr
11-23-2008, 08:51 AM
Here's another version -- I cropped a slightly different angle of the same subject and tried to incorporate a few of the suggestions...