PDA

View Full Version : Wahweap Hoodoo

Bill Randall
11-19-2008, 09:57 PM
Canon 5D 24-70 mm @ 40mm, f/16, 1/15 sec.

Ed Cordes
11-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Interesting presentation. I like the smaller hoodoo complimenting the main subject..

Roman Kurywczak
11-20-2008, 04:20 PM
Hi Bill,
The comp looks very good.........but as presented looks very bright on my monitor (it is calibrated).......did you try a highlight recovery? This should greatly improve the balance.

Bill Randall
11-20-2008, 06:22 PM
I don't know how to approach this. The image looks fairly detailed on my monitor. (Just calibrated two days ago) I wish I could see what you are seeing. Is the hoodoo detailed? What do you mean by recover the highlights. I will try it. This is my first post on this forum.

Bill Randall
11-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Try this one. Curves adjustment, linear burn at 45%, had to back off the blue saturation. Looks quite dark now on my monitor. How about yours?

Robert Amoruso
11-21-2008, 08:39 AM
Bill,

I opened you image in PS and took a look at it using a levels adjustment holding down the ALT key and clicking on either the white or black sliders reveals clipped highlights and shadows and some colors. I suggest going back to the original converted TIFF file and process it so that the channels are not clipping. THe area that Roman is talking about is in the upper left a large white area lacking detail.

In the repost I did a selection of the higlights using the Channels Palette (Selection using the Channels Palette covered here http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?p=161168). I then copied that selection to a layer (CTRL-J) and changed the blending mode to Multiply and Opacity to 50% (Blending Modes covered here http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20434).

I created a Hue/Saturation correction and removed Blue and Cyan. Adjust reduction to your liking.

Very interesting subject and nice composition. We hope to see more of your work here in the Landscape Forum. Thanks for posting.

Roman Kurywczak
11-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Hi Bill,
I like the detail your re-post brought out....but it is a bit dark. I do have a question before I try a solution...........if the snow was white like in Robert's re-post........then just a few tweaks to your liking should do the trick...........but if it was more blue like in the re-post.........then I may have a solution. Let me know.

Bill Randall
12-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Roman, Sorry so long getting back on this, I overlooked you last comment.
The blue is the way it was. The material is not snow but volcanic material that is quite hard and shows both blue and amber in places with some reddish rock showing here and there. Robert's treament is a fair considering the whites to be more white, but they really are bluish and that cast is one of the items (as well as shapes) that attracted me to this image. So if you look in again I would welcome your input.