PDA

View Full Version : Half Dome In October

Ed Cordes
11-19-2008, 08:02 PM
This image was made during our trip to Yosemite in October. While the waterfalls are less than ideal the black maples are super. The Merced River allows for smooth water in Fall so reflections are possible. As you can see we had overcast weather most days, but it made for nice clouds.

This image is full frame on my 1DMK2 with 17-40 at 24mm. Evaluative metering at ISO 200 with f 14 and 1/25 with EV zero. Tripod, mirror lock up and cable release used.

As always, all comments and suggestions are most welcome.

Dave Mills
11-20-2008, 12:13 AM
Very nice composition and you caught the color at the right time. I might crop about 20% of the sky and give it a contrast kick due to the image appearing a bit flat. I like the reflections also...

Roman Kurywczak
11-20-2008, 04:14 PM
Hey Ed,
Major change in the re-post.........was a highlight recovery in S/H........100%....then a slight boost to sat.......and a LCE....check Roberts tutorial.......by far the biggest change was the recovery of the white. Could do more in Selective color......but you get the idea.
The split ND filter in the field......would have saved most of the PP' ing.

Ed Cordes
11-20-2008, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the repost Roman. I like some of it. It is just a bit too much for my taste. My mind says the actual scene was somewhere in between the two presentations.

FWIW, I did use a gradient ND - the Hitech 0.6. Perhaps this is not the best to get the most out of filter use?

I do appreciate your taking the time to teach me more about PP.

Robert Amoruso
11-21-2008, 08:24 AM
I would go mid-way between the tow posts. Good composition Ed. JPG looks like it needs a bit more sharpening.