PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts from my first trip to Bosque

Michael Lloyd
11-19-2008, 09:04 AM
I finally made the pilgrimage to Bosque this year. It was everything I expected and nothing like I expected :) I'm told that the crowds were light. Probably because we were there a little early. I noticed a few things that kind of bothered me and I am hesitantly going to bring them up here. I am not preaching. I am not a pro. I am just a guy that loves to shoot. I shoot almost every day of the year. I learn something new almost every time I shoot. I enjoy passing on what I've learned and seen. Often what I've "learned" is corrected during this process and I'm am thankful for the help. Onward through the fog :)

(1) One thing I noticed early on was that 90% or more of the photographers there were shooting from essentially the same vantage point at the same tripod height and often at the same birds. So, in a sense, they are all getting the same image. Maybe not exactly the same bird but the same background and the same angle of light. Case in point, Russell and I were sitting at the pond that is just after you come into the gate. Everyone else was standing. The first thing that I saw when I walked up was the awful color of the light on the pond. When I squatted down to have a look the color changed to a gorgeous blue mixed with a vibrant white from the birds. Bingo... there's my shooting position. Not exactly comfortable but definitely an improvement over the drab colors that were seen from the vantage point above me. Low is not always the best choice and it's not very comfortable (sticks poking through the skin aren't fun at all) but I think more people should put this option in their toolbox.

(2) Bosque has a lot of "other than migratory bird" opportunities. A lot of people, especially the pro and semi-pro photographers know this. When you go to Bosque, keep an eye out for the Mule Deer, Coyote, and other inhabitants of the refuge.

PS- I don't have a high shot to compare to the low shot otherwise I would post them here.

Joseph Martines
11-19-2008, 09:41 AM
Michael:

You are right about the low angle compositions.

The problem is that as one gets older it is easier to get down and rather hard to get up!!!

I've learned to carry a 5 X 6 tarp to keep from getting damp if I decide to lay down for a shot.

david cramer
11-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the thoughtful suggestion, Michael. One of the great things about this forum is the "out of the box" element, encouraging us to try new approaches to getting and processing an image. I'm not surprised the crowds are lighter, with the shape of the economy. While the cranes and geese are great to photograph, I agree with you about keeping your eyes open for merlin, falcons, various kinds of hawks and our state bird, the roadrunner. I've even photographed elk at Bosque.

Alfred Forns
11-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Good observation Mike !!! Have found that to be the case Its always good to move around and keep your eyes open

On the same I've often seen gorgeous skies behind groups and no a single person looking back !!!

Sabyasachi Patra
11-19-2008, 01:02 PM
I don't have much idea about your wild places. But agree with the observations made. I have seen that what ever the first photographer does, others follow. If someone is shooting, then others flock around and start shooting at times close enough to hinder the first guy. Bending or lying down is not the most comfortable position, but certainly helps.

I think most of the times people have decided before hand as to what to shoot in a particular place. So when some excellent opportunity presents itself (read Coyote, Elk etc etc) the photographers are not ready to create those images.

Looking back certainly helps. At times, I have found a tiger reappearing behind me after I start the vehicle.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Bob Blanchard
11-19-2008, 08:42 PM
Just to add my two cents.....

I spend most of my time face down in the mud of Southwest Florida these days. The BEST thing I've found for low profile work is those roll-up yoga mats! They have more padding than a tarp, roll up for easy storage, they're quiet, clean easily, and come in a variety of non-threatening colors (I use a very dark blue one). They're also thick enough that the brambles and sticks don't poke through.

David Quanrud
11-21-2008, 12:12 AM
Michael, thanks for your Bosque observations. I'm heading for Bosque in 3 days and it's good to be reminded of the importance to "see" the scene and compose the shot accordingly, regardless of what the pack may be doing!

Dave