PDA

View Full Version : Messing the Mesa

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
11-18-2008, 04:25 PM
I shot this south of Taos NM last week as the wind was blowing 50+ that day.

MarkIII
lens 24-105 IS
handheld
f/8.0
iso 160

Robert Amoruso
11-18-2008, 07:26 PM
Dennis,

My first thought is do not crop from the top. I like the expansive sky in this image. Having spent a lot of time in NM and in this area I appreciate the fantastic looking skies you get there. My second thought is crop form the top for a totally different look. I downloaded the image and crop a good portion of the blue sky out and the clouds stood out even more dramitically. So either way is a great image. Your call on what you prefer. Personally, I would do it both ways.

The leading line the fence makes is a nice touch. The FG stands in stark contrast to the clouds and sky and I like the graphic quality of the grass the scrub brush. What time of day was this?

Just a couple of minor things for me. The dark areas in the UL and UR drawn my eye. I tried the doge tool on them to good effect. Vignetting correction did not do to well on this. On the lower edge, 1/3 way in from the right is a light colored bush that is cut by the edge - I suggest cloning that out. To be sure, both really minor suggestions.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
11-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Thanks Robert it is really appreciated as I know this take time and happy for your sacrifice to help on this forum. You and Roman do a great job as moderators on this forum. Thanks

I shot this around d 3 pm as I was out searching for a sunset place as first time out your doing a lot of looking for a spot.

Roman Kurywczak
11-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Hey Dennis,
I am more partial to the pano......but may go even more on the sky.......to a true pano......with just a bit above the cloud. The fence in this case actually adds IMO to the comp.........it may want more of a center of interest.........but it does convey the the sense of prairie/openness.....so nicely composed.