PDA

View Full Version : The Owl and the Vole

Harold Stiver
01-17-2008, 02:06 PM
I look at photos in all kinds of places including advertising and a lot of compelling images involve extreme close ups

One of the ways to do this with birds is to crop out anything that isn't the main subject.. no bits of sky etc.

This is the famous southern Ontario Hawk Owl before he became a superstar, it is unbaited and he has caught a wild vole.

So what do you think, does this work?

Canon 5D, 500mm, f/5.6, 1/3200sec, Severe crop.

Alfred Forns
01-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Harold the image is dramatic and love the tight crop Just thinking out loud it might work better with the point of focus on the vole?

As presented the sharpest area is around the bird's left eye Having so much in front oof takes attention away At this distance dof is minimal !!!

Harold Stiver
01-17-2008, 05:53 PM
As presented the sharpest area is around the bird's left eye Having so much in front oof takes attention away At this distance dof is minimal !!!

That's a good point. I have about 30 shots of this action, and I think I'll try another which might work better with your suggestion. Thanks

Fabs Forns
01-18-2008, 01:20 AM
Hi Harold,

I played with this a bit, using Al's suggestion.
Used a depth of field brush (PhotoKit) on the vole, a blur brush on the outer plumage and added a much needed catch light.
Almost forgot, cloned out some distractions on the Owl's face.

Hope you don't mind.

Peter Hawrylyshyn
01-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Fabs -
that's twice i've seen you post using the PK DOF brush to sharpen an OOF element in the foreground
HOw does it work - do you create and use a separate layer?
I've never found any good manuals describing how to use the PK brushes - do you have a reference?
Thanks
Peter

Harold Stiver
01-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Thanks Fabs, that's a definite improvement and the tools you used sound interesting.

I have close cropped another in the series which turned out to be more suitable as it had tighter focus and more interest with the bright yellow eyes and beak showing.

I appreciate the good advice!!