PDA

View Full Version : Catching the waves.

Ian McHenry
11-18-2008, 06:53 AM
I love the challenge of catching the moments of wavespray together with the action of the waves.
This image taken @ Waikuku Beach near Christchurch NZ of waves in western Pacific.
Details: Slight crop to remove OF foreground.
400 ISO AV minus 0.5 EV.
1/2000 @ F11 ( unusually small aperture for me).
Taken into early morning sunlight.
Comments Welcome.
Ian McHenry
http://www.pbase.com/ianmc

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
11-18-2008, 04:33 PM
It really shows the fury with the wind hitting the tops of the wave creating a nice spray.

Roman Kurywczak
11-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Hi Ian,
This is one of the times that bright sun...........can make a huge impact! On a stormy very overcast day.......bright sun breaking through can make a very dramatic scene.....especially when you combine it with the strong wave action. I did a S/H adjustment.........on both the shadows and highlights. This brought out the color of the water shadow areas....while taming a bit of the foam....and only further emphasizing the spray. This was very nicely composed and exposed. It truly shows the power of the waves. Let me know your thoughts.

Ian McHenry
11-18-2008, 09:46 PM
Thanks Curly & Roman.
Roman: Your post is a distinct improvement.
Really like the increased sharpness in the spray and white water waves.
Sometimes both Noise Ninja and Noiseware make the spray too bland, and without noise suppression can be a bit too grainy.
Also really like the increased colour contrast in the darker part of the waves.
Your edit gives more "grunt" all around. Much appreciated.
Cheers: Ian Mc

Ian McHenry
11-18-2008, 11:45 PM
Decided to try something to get more depth in my previous post.
Still a newby @ Photoshop Elements so just used Color Variations to darken image and then a bit more sharpening.
Ian Mc

Sabyasachi Patra
11-24-2008, 02:52 AM
Ian,
Your image captures the nature's power. I agree with Roman that some sunlight would have been better.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Ian McHenry
11-24-2008, 03:02 PM
Thanks Sabyaschi.
Appreciated.

Roman Kurywczak
11-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Hey Ian,
Looks pretty close to my correction. Well done with elements!

Ian McHenry
11-25-2008, 12:53 AM
Thanks Roman
Didn't manage the FG shades of white but still quite happy with end result based on your direction.
Slainte !!! Just having a Harringtons Kiwi Draught !!! He He.