PDA

View Full Version : "So Ugly, It's Beautiful"

Gus Hallgren
11-17-2008, 11:33 PM
Hi Folks:

Gina, her sister and I took in the Reid Park Zoo in Tucson, AZ yesterday. Had a great day taking in all the wild life, and loved every minute. As it was nearing the end of the day I came about these 2 huge King Vulture's from Brazil that thrilled me with their majesty and rainment. Only nit was that they were behind a heavy rectangular spaced metal fence, and tough to even focus on the birds and get a shallow DOF that would minimze the fence. Also my view point was bad footing for this old Codger with declining sense of balance. Only plus was that I was a Stubborn Swede and thought where there's a will there's away ??? With rays of sunshine making hot spots within the cage I would have to expose to minimize them too. So . . . first I picked out a spot where I could feel solid and could hold the camera steady with one hand ~ then I picked out a tree trunk to the side of the cage that I estimated was the same distance as the main bird was from me. I focused on the tree trunk, held that focus, moved it over to the bird and fired off 3 shots.

Didn't expect too much, but looking at the results at home, I decided that I couldn't make a classic sharp photo, however, I could see possibilities of making a finished photo that would show what the Vulture looked like in a sort of moody effort suiting my taste.

My biggest problem was hot spots in places that were tough to clone or QM to minimize without too much overspray . . . So, I captured a rectangle from the top left to center portion of the top that was neutral to the over all BG. I then took this piece into a free program called 20~20 which would convert it into a seamless jpg I could make a seamless BG the same size as the photo of the King Vulture.
I then took my created BG & King Vulture into CS4, I then pressed "V" (move) and dragged the King Vulture over the BG as a second layer. Then used background eraser at different tolerances and got rid of all the hot spots. Used some curves, selective sharpening & curves on bird using QM. Quite a bit of fiddling to get final creation . . . . No selective sharpening on eye, and parts of bird left slightly blurred for effect. Sort of a exercise of experimentation.

CC's welcome and always appreciated

Uncle Gus aka "Windy" WABI . . . .

Olympus E-520 IS, Zuiko 70-300mm ED
Aperture priority.
F/5.6, 1/60s
ISO 400
0.30 ev
Auto WB
228 mm focal length
Fill flash

Lance Peters
11-18-2008, 01:57 AM
Awesome looking bird Uncle Gus. :)

denise ippolito
11-18-2008, 08:11 AM
Uncle Gus this is beautiful. I like the mood of this shot and the angle as well!! And sounds like you and your family are having a grand time.

Alfred Forns
11-18-2008, 08:27 AM
You did come up with a compelling image Gus !!! I like it in every way The prominent eye takes over and works just fine !!

Particularly like how you thought about it then executed !! Big Time Congrats on this one !!!

Gail Spitler
11-18-2008, 10:03 AM
I couldn't agree more - this is a wonderful artistic image, very moody. The general softness gives a gentle tone not usually seen in vulture images.
Very well done
Gail

Katie Rupp
11-18-2008, 10:40 AM
As above, and for me the eye and the moodiness make it stand out. Lots of work paid off, Gus!

Gus Cobos
11-18-2008, 06:56 PM
A face only a mother can love Uncle Gus...well composed. I like the combination of colors that this fellow has...good show...the eye does it for me...:cool:

Jackie Schuknecht
11-18-2008, 07:55 PM
I like all the colours in this one Gus and the pose from behind. You did well to get a shot, and another bird I have never seen. Thanks for showing this colourful bird to us!