PDA

View Full Version : Conowingo ****

Joe Campanellie
11-17-2008, 03:17 PM
Anyone have any experience at Conawingo Dam?

I know that the eagles start to congregate this time of year just didn't know if it was too early yet.

Best time of day and directions would be great too.

Thanks In Advance
Joe Campanellie
www.campanellies.com

Bill Jobes
11-17-2008, 08:57 PM
Hello Joe,

I go to Conowingo fairly regularly.

The eagle activity varies from day to day, but this time of year the action starts to pick up.

The months from October into January seem best.

It's become quite popular recently.

Good luck when you go!

Perhaps I'll see you there.

-Bill Jobes

Joe Campanellie
11-17-2008, 10:37 PM
Thanks Bill...a friend of mine is now a Canon rep. Wanted to know if I wanted to catch up to him at Conawingo and play with the 800.

Bill Jobes
11-17-2008, 10:53 PM
That should be a lot of fun !

denise ippolito
11-18-2008, 08:16 AM
Joe, I was planning a trip out there let me know how you make out-Lucky you getting a go at a 800

Ken Kovak
11-18-2008, 08:51 AM
Joe,

I have always had luck at Conawingo, see the eagles at least, the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving. I say "seeing the eagles" as they tend to be at quite a distance from the accessible viewing area. As long as there is open water there will be eagles there.

Ken

denise ippolito
11-18-2008, 10:38 AM
Ken, Can you get a shot w/ a 500mm and 1.4 ex or is it still to far for decent photo?

Ken Kovak
11-18-2008, 12:50 PM
I have found that 400 mm on a Canon 40D (1.6x body) is only occasionally enough reach. With 700mm on a 1.6x body you should be able to do OK with flight shots.

Ken

denise ippolito
11-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Ken, Thanks for the help!

Linda Dulak
11-18-2008, 04:31 PM
We were up there on the 11th. A fair amount of fishing by eagles, but far out. Keep watching for flights over the parking lot. The eagles often go right over the pavement as that is a nice line between the trees. Be prepared because you can get some nice flight shots at that time. When we were there, there were some pretty interesting dog fights overhead. We didn't get any pictures, but be prepared for anything. Even though we came away with only a couple decent pictures, it was a lot of fun.

If the eagles aren't flying, you can practice flight pictures on the gulls as there are usually lots of them up by the dam.

Be aware that the rest rooms are closed up by the dam. There are portapotties down by the boat ramp. There is lots of construction going on up by the dam. I believe that this is a facility that will be for visitors, fishermen and photographers which was mandated to renew the hydroelectric facility permit. So don't complain too much. Next year should be much nicer.

Enjoy and dress warmly!

Linda

Bill Jobes
11-22-2008, 10:56 AM
Friends,

For anyone trying to find it with a GPS, the spelling is 'Conowingo."

-Bill

Bob Ettinger
01-25-2009, 06:20 PM
Anyone have the current status before I take a long trip?

Thanks

Joe Austin
01-26-2009, 08:48 AM
Bob, this is not really current info , but I was at Conowingo on Jan. 17th and not much was happening eagle wise. I was there from just before sun-up to around 4pm. Counted 15-20 eagles on the far (very far) bank, but virtually no activity. Occasionally a bird would fly overhead, or perch in the trees nearby, but I did not see a single fishing run the entire day.

The regulars said that earlier in the season 100+ eagles were actively fishing at the dam but the dam had released alot of "fast water" the first couple weeks of Jan. that seemed to disperse the eagles.

Now if you want seagulls.........

Bill Jobes
01-26-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the report, Joe!

It's been a few weeks since I was there, and conditions were much the same at that time.

It looks like the peak of the season is in the rear view mirror!

Bob Ettinger
01-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Joe,

Thanks, I guess it will wait till next year:D