PDA

View Full Version : Violet Sabrewing Male

Linda Robbins
11-16-2008, 09:44 PM
Canon EOS 1D Mark II N and a 500mm f/4 IS lens mounted on a tripod. Manual. 1/250 at f/22. ISO 400. Seven flash set up at f/32, optically triggered. Artificial background. Costa Rica.

Violet Sabrewings are beautiful hummingbirds, but they can be very agressive at feeders, and heir relatively large size allows them to drive away smaller hummingbirds. We were jokingly referring to them as Violent Sabrewings as we watched them guard the feeders....

Judy Lynn Malloch
11-16-2008, 10:03 PM
So beautiful Linda. Love the composition and the beautiful color and detail of the sabrewing male. In just does not get better than this. Love it Linda.

Stephen Stephen
11-16-2008, 10:34 PM
Gorgeous capture Linda. Thank you for sharing this flying jewel. I've got to get to Costa Rica some day.

Mark Schmitt
11-16-2008, 11:11 PM
Excellent. By conincidence, I was reading an article, in the local book store, about photographing with multiple flash units; didn't go into details, however. What kind of trigger is use? Splendid shot.

Linda Robbins
11-16-2008, 11:25 PM
Excellent. By conincidence, I was reading an article, in the local book store, about photographing with multiple flash units; didn't go into details, however. What kind of trigger is use? Splendid shot.

The flashes on the set up that are lighting the bird were triggered optically - fired by the flash on my camera. You can learn how to photograph hummingbirds with high-speed multiple flash in my Hummingbird Guide, available from BirdsAsArt.com. The Guide covers the equipment I recommend, flash placement, artificial backgrounds, getting the right exposure, post processing, setting up your set up step-by-step, troubleshooting and more.

Tony Whitehead
11-17-2008, 03:02 AM
Stunning as always, Linda. That iridescence is lovely - definitely a flying jewel.

bill kominsky
11-17-2008, 09:23 AM
You are the master of these birds Linda and nobody does it better, just stunning.

Bill

Stu Bowie
11-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Superb timing Linda, and amazing colours captured in this. Very well done.

Ramon M. Casares
11-17-2008, 05:04 PM
As usual... stunning! You're just too good at this :) Congratulaitons!

Aidan Briggs
11-17-2008, 09:01 PM
Wonderful pose and wing position. No nits for me!

James Salywoda
11-17-2008, 09:41 PM
Stunning looking Hummingbird Linda the details are so perfect.

Arthur Morris
11-18-2008, 10:27 AM
Love the wing position, the pose, the bill in the flowers, and the amazing blue on the side of the bird. And as always, the flash work and techs are perfect. Those who would like to see a collection of Linda's best hummers from Costa RIca can check out today's BAA Bulletin, #278. It should be up in the archives this afternoon or subscribe via the link on the home page.