PDA

View Full Version : Pied-billed Grebe

Taylor Yeager
11-16-2008, 07:42 PM
Another image of this Pied-billed grebe. This time with a sunfish for lunch.

Camera model:Canon EOS 50D
Focal length:700 mm
Exposure:1/320 at f/5.6
Exposure bias:+2 EV
Exposure prog.:Aperture priority
ISO speed:ISO 800
Metering mode:Pattern

http://photos.tayloryeager.com/img/v4/p895682686-4.jpg

Axel Hildebrandt
11-16-2008, 07:53 PM
Nice catch both of you. Looks pretty good despite the difficult light. I might sharpen the bird and fish more and crop some off the top.

John Wilkerson
11-16-2008, 08:02 PM
Nice capture. Would you mind sharing a bit of how you captured the image? Like the low angle and did you
just happen upon the bird? I have photographed a Grebe and found it to be very shy and didn't stick around
long. Thanks

Daniel Cadieux
11-16-2008, 08:27 PM
Pretty nice! I have seen waders and cormorants with big catches, but didn't realize these grebes also catch proportionately big fish. I agree with cropping from the top.

Judy Lynn Malloch
11-16-2008, 08:57 PM
Great timing and a wonderful catch !!! Agree with the suggested cropping. Many thanks for sharing Taylor .

Linda Robbins
11-16-2008, 10:03 PM
I can't believe the size of that fish! It is hard to believe the grebe could swallow it. Nice low perspective and you did well with the less than optimal lighting conditions. Another vote for the crop suggestion.

Aidan Briggs
11-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Nice find. Good low perspective. I would crop a bit off the top. I wish the head turn was a bit better.

Taylor Yeager
11-17-2008, 09:30 PM
Nice capture. Would you mind sharing a bit of how you captured the image? Like the low angle and did you
just happen upon the bird? I have photographed a Grebe and found it to be very shy and didn't stick around
long.

Hi John,
I was looking for subjects and saw the bird a ways out. Birds here in the Northeast are, in general, pretty skittish. I always try to blend into the surroundings, by staying low or close to vegetation. I was able to work closer to the grebe by moving whiel it was underwater.

Taylor