PDA

View Full Version : Baby Blowfish Blows It!

Arthur Morris
12-31-2007, 09:06 AM
I have seen a variety of wading birds chowing down on baby blowfish. The blowfish inflate themselves in an effort to avoid becoming dinner. This seems like a good strategy but I have never seen it work...

At 9:32 am on a clearing morning, the light was on the harsh side so I needed to wade into deep much to achieve a good sun angle (with my shadow pointed at the bird). I did, but the mud was as deep as it was yucky. Despite my pleadings, most of the IPT group stayed on the shore creating images off-angle to the light and for the most part, they were photographing up the bird's butt, i.e., from behind the subject. You can lead those horse's to water, but... As you would hope, the MIII yields low contrast images in bright sun (and high contrast images in low light).

Canon 500mm f/4L IS lens with 1.4X II TC and the EOS 1D MIII. Evaluative metering at zero: 1/800 sec. at f/11. Little Estero Lagoon, Ft. Myers Beach, FL

All comments welcome. Later and love, artie

D. Robert Franz
12-31-2007, 10:03 AM
You did good Artie. Image tells a story. The highlights are great. Did you have highlight tone priority enabled?

Jim Neiger
12-31-2007, 10:05 AM
Artie,
Beautiful clean bg and you nailed the exposure. The blown up blow fish is way cool. I don't think the Egret was impressed with him though. I wish the missing section of the bird's neck was visible.

Alfred Forns
12-31-2007, 10:10 AM
I was pulling for the blowfish but it was much to ask !!!!

Love the clean bill and bg !!!

Arthur Morris
12-31-2007, 10:10 AM
D. Bob, I keep Highlight Tone Priority enabled at all times except when I need to go way low on ISO for blurs. Advance notice: AF (even 45-point) on the MIII 1Ds is totally amazing. As soon as I can convert a few, I will start posting them.

later and love, artie

Judy Lynn Malloch
12-31-2007, 10:20 AM
Well worth the effort Artie. Great capture with excellent exposure and wonderful BG and an perfect angle to see the blowfish.

Maxis Gamez
12-31-2007, 10:28 AM
The angle works very well! The fish is a plus. Very nice!

Axel Hildebrandt
12-31-2007, 11:17 AM
Great behavior shot! I've never seen a blowfish around here. There are some sharpening artifacts around the edges but that really is nitpicking.

Fabs Forns
12-31-2007, 11:29 AM
Great angle, at a cost though ;)

Poor little blowfish, he really fought for his life!

Bob Ettinger
12-31-2007, 12:02 PM
Love the blowfish, it makes a more interesting image but figure it was a losing propostion for it:)

Gyorgy Szimuly
12-31-2007, 12:14 PM
blue sky as a bg normally doesn't work for me but on this image it is fine. I like the pose, the pastel colors and the contact between your camera and the bird. The fish had no chance to have eye contact with you. :D
Szimi

Arthur Morris
12-31-2007, 01:07 PM
Blue sky as a bg normally doesn't work for me but on this image it is fine.

Hi Szimi,

The background was still blue water lit by sweet early morning light--one of my very favorites. No wonder you liked it!

Later and love, artie

Lana Hays
12-31-2007, 07:08 PM
Artie
Although familiar with Blowfish, I've never seen an Egret with one before. It certainly tells a story and without knowing the outcome....you can always think the Blowfish managed an escape.

Milo Burcham
01-02-2008, 09:48 PM
And I had to be off chasing a spoonbill in the muck! Very cool event to capture. I have to admit that I like this tight shot vs. the full body shots that some of the others got at the same time.

Manos Papadomanolakis
01-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Great action shot!!!