Tom Dolezal
11-16-2008, 02:36 PM
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/erding/Landscape/IMG_2919.jpg

Canon 5D, Canon 16-35 f/2.8 Mk1, ISO 400, f/8, 1/800, handhld

C&C Welcome

Thanks for looking

Kaushik Balakumar
11-17-2008, 05:47 AM
Lovely image Tom. Liked the light here & the sun rays near the horizon from behind the clouds.
Might open the shadows a wee bit.

Tom Dolezal
11-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Lovely image Tom. Liked the light here & the sun rays near the horizon from behind the clouds.
Might open the shadows a wee bit.

Many thanks Kaushik for your kind comments and suggestion which is very much appreciated and valued.

At the time this was shot, December, there is only about 2 hours of daylight in Iceland and during that 2 hours it is a low light. To reduce that shadow would not really reflect the scene actually shot.

Tom

Robert Amoruso
11-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Tom,

I have been thinking about this one awhile and even downloaded it and opened up the shadows in the FG yesterday. I felt that this was a close interpretation of what you say that day. When I opened up the shadows, I was greeted with some wonderful patterns in the sand. I infer from Kaushik's comment he feels the same way. An alternative to a straight interpretation of your image would be to expose those patterns. If photography is an art, nothing holds us back from a creative interpretation of a scene. I once saw Ansel Adam's Moonrise over Hernandez printed straight off the negative by one of his former students (can't recall the name) displayed next to one of Adam's original. The difference was amazing.

Anyway, something to consider but of course the final choice is yours. Thanks for posting this most pleasing image.

Tom Dolezal
11-17-2008, 03:50 PM
Tom,

I have been thinking about this one awhile and even downloaded it and opened up the shadows in the FG yesterday. I felt that this was a close interpretation of what you say that day. When I opened up the shadows, I was greeted with some wonderful patterns in the sand. I infer from Kaushik's comment he feels the same way. An alternative to a straight interpretation of your image would be to expose those patterns. If photography is an art, nothing holds us back from a creative interpretation of a scene. I once saw Ansel Adam's Moonrise over Hernandez printed straight off the negative by one of his former students (can't recall the name) displayed next to one of Adam's original. The difference was amazing.

Anyway, something to consider but of course the final choice is yours. Thanks for posting this most pleasing image.

Hi Robert

Thank you for comments which are very much valued and appreciated.

An edit of that image is:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/erding/Landscape/IMG_2919-3.jpg

However I think you are referring to the ripple area by the bottom LH corner as sand - that is actually water in the lagoon and the reflected area to the right and rear of that is actually ice on that lagoon.

I feel best qualified, at present, to try to present an image which reflects the actual scene at the time of shooting as opposed to applying artistic license to the image to create a scene which may have more visual impact

Robert Amoruso
11-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the kind words and I appreciate the clarification on the ripples - thought it was sand.

I agree, the final interpretation is yours to make. Looking forward to seeing some more images.

Also thanks for the info on the scene and location, I did not know that you only had two hours of light but at that low height, it must be a beautiful two hours.

Roman Kurywczak
11-17-2008, 10:20 PM
Hi Tom,
I must admit to liking thedarker version as a preference......but both work compositionally for me........although the darker version has nicer rays and cloud detail. I do like the way the lighter version accentuated the ripples more. The water on the diagonal makes a nice leading line while the clouds have a very nice form to them. Nicely done.

Kaushik Balakumar
11-18-2008, 07:43 AM
Somehow, I missed noting that this image was made in Iceland during winter though it is mentioned in your subject line.
I now can understand & appreciate your explanation Tom. It makes sense.
:)

Tom Dolezal
11-18-2008, 12:03 PM
Hi Tom,
I must admit to liking thedarker version as a preference......but both work compositionally for me........although the darker version has nicer rays and cloud detail. I do like the way the lighter version accentuated the ripples more. The water on the diagonal makes a nice leading line while the clouds have a very nice form to them. Nicely done.

Many thanks Roman for your kind words which are very much valued and appreciated.

Tom

Tom Dolezal
11-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Somehow, I missed noting that this image was made in Iceland during winter though it is mentioned in your subject line.
I now can understand & appreciate your explanation Tom. It makes sense.
:)

Glad it all is clear now.

Tom