PDA

View Full Version : Ole Panchito in the Air

Harold Davis
11-16-2008, 12:26 PM
what a beautiful bird! and the warmth in this one is natural. another one taken with the polarizar filter on. i would change the filter's orientation depending on with direction the planes were coming from in order to get the full benefit of it. i cropped this one from the bottom and a little off the left. do you like the orientation of the plane in the frame? i cropped it a few times before i stuck with this one. not sure it's right or not.

D300, 18-200VR at 200mm,f/6.3, 1/500s, 0EV, ISO 400 with polarizar filter

thanks for looking and comments and critiques appreciated!!

Katie Rupp
11-16-2008, 12:56 PM
Yes to the light and the composition, very nicely done, Harold.

Gus Cobos
11-16-2008, 01:04 PM
Excellent Doctor Davis. I like the banking turn...what a majestic lady...:):cool:

denise ippolito
11-16-2008, 01:14 PM
Harold, this one is my favorite-I loved Jules idea in OOTB on Panchito's nose being angled up-hope you re-post that one

David Thomasson
11-16-2008, 04:41 PM
What a beauty. I think you nailed the crop/composition dead on. A bit of interesting trivia about the B25:
The Mitchell was also an amazingly sturdy aircraft and could withstand tremendous punishment. One well-known B-25C of the 321st Bomb Group was nicknamed "Patches" because its crew chief painted all the aircraft's flak hole patches with high-visibility zinc chromate paint. By the end of the war, this aircraft had completed over 300 missions, was belly-landed half a dozen times and sported over 400 patched holes. The airframe was so bent, straight-and-level flight required 8° of left aileron trim and 6° of right rudder, causing the aircraft to "crab" sideways across the sky.
One of the few things that stopped a B25 was the Empire State Building.

Alfred Forns
11-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the info David !!! I'm surprised it wasn't scrapped !!!

Really nice Harold I think that finish shows off the plane better than any other.

btw I think there was one in the Pacific modified to shoot a large canon ... going after shipping !!!

Harold Davis
11-16-2008, 07:18 PM
you are right!!! i've learned more history here than in school. that's so sad!!

B-25G - The Big Gun

The "G" model featured a 75mm cannon in the nose, one of the largest weapons ever mounted in an airplane. After extensive testing at a secret base in California, the engineers made the idea work, but the B-25G was not very successful. While it could carry 21 rounds, aiming the big cannon was difficult, and it required a long "straight-in" run at the target. During this run, the aircraft was extremely vulnerable and could only get off four rounds. A number of B-25G's were modified by Pappy Gunn at the Townsville Australia Modification Depot, adding more machine guns and occasionally removing the 75mm cannon.

Desmond Chan
11-16-2008, 08:59 PM
I think I saw this WWII movie poster before. I just didn't know it was shot by you Harold !

Maurice Allen
11-17-2008, 09:22 AM
Very nice image, I love all the warbirds!!

Jackie Schuknecht
11-17-2008, 09:50 AM
Like the framing and the colours Harold. The blades look neat because they almost look frozen:)

Oscar Zangroniz
11-17-2008, 08:49 PM
Congrats H. on this one. Colors are great and so is the composition.