PDA

View Full Version : Arroyo Burro Beach Sunset

Leroy Laverman
11-15-2008, 11:21 PM
This is a merge of two exposures (-2 eV for the sky , no EC for the foreground). This beach is a favorite for walking dogs in Santa Barbara and is known to the locals as Hendry's Beach. The sky wasn't as interesting as I was hoping for so I tried to make the foreground the focus. I'm struggling with the shadows. Are they too light? Comments appreciated.

Robert Amoruso
11-16-2008, 10:30 AM
Leroy,

Compositionally, I like how the large rock in the FG right balances with the sun. Overall, I like the tonality of the image and think the shadows are fine. I tried a few things with a download that I feel may be of interest to you. Whether you incorporate them or not is you prerogative if you feel it enhances the image for your tastes. To me, I like it as is.

I did a selected in the pool of water and then using curves I darkened it to match the tonality of the sand. I then did a curves adjustment on the whole image that darkened the sky and masked the FG out using a gradient mask (how to at http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?p=161168).

The lens flare is not something I personally like but I have no problem with it being there as many photographers like it. I do like the burst affect on the sun, just not the heptagon shapes.

I have been to this beach many years back. I like how you used a visually interesting FG in this image. Nice work.

Leroy Laverman
11-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the suggestions Robert. I do like the added color saturation in your edit. I'm never sure how far to push the colors in landscapes. You've given me some good suggestions here and I'll keep working on this one to see what I can come up with.

Roman Kurywczak
11-16-2008, 11:31 AM
Hey Leroy,
I like Robert's re-post on the rocky shadow areas. As for the color..........maybe just a hair back.......but as you stated......how much we push is personal preference. I like the placement of the sun in the frame as well as the pool........the sandy area draws my eye into the frame very nicely also. I am not bothered by the flares......and usually I do not like them at all.......but I am finding them very effective in this scene.
Nicely done and let us know how the tweaks come out.

Leroy Laverman
11-16-2008, 12:57 PM
Here's what I came up with, taking the previous suggestions to mind. I'm glad the lens flare is working. Since the sky was not that interesting I thought a flare might add some interest.

Roman Kurywczak
11-16-2008, 01:00 PM
Nice re-work Leroy! You did very well with the suggestions. Works for me!

Grady Weed
11-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Leroy, the re-post rocks! Much more deep colors and varied tones. The flares add here instead of taking away. Love the wet sand look.

Robert Amoruso
11-17-2008, 03:16 PM
Leroy,

I like your repost and to be clear on my first post, I am OK with the flare. It is something that I like to avoid personally for my images but I believe here it is used creatively and works well with the image.

Thanks for posting the new version.