PDA

View Full Version : Before and after (Extreme crop)

Michael Rogers
01-17-2008, 08:32 AM
This is the original image. It was taken with the new Nikon D3 with a 300 2.8 AFS VR lens. ISO 800. Although I like this image I saw the possibility of another image by cropping in on the Pelican on the left. The feather detail and loose feathers drew my attention. The next image will show the extreme crop.

Michael Rogers
01-17-2008, 08:40 AM
This is the extreme crop.

Nonda Surratt
01-17-2008, 09:20 AM
I very much like the extreme crop and the colors are lovely. I can't really find anything to nits about:)

Alfred Forns
01-17-2008, 10:17 AM
Thanks for this example Michael Does teach to look at alternatives Best picture available when making the image was the tight crop Probably using the 2X and moving in might have given you something similar At least a much lesser crop Real good Mike !!!!

Robert Amoruso
01-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Good idea with the recrop. A much stronger image because in the first image the BG is confusing and draws attention from the pelicans. Alfred is right that it is best to see these opportunities in the field and gone to a longer telephoto if possible or move closer if possible.

Another option for the original image would have been to move left and tried to get a smoother water BG. Thanks for posting this excellent demonstration.