PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Refuge

Judy Lynn Malloch
11-15-2008, 05:43 PM
I believe this is a a piping plover and I found him all huddled up in a hole along the beach of Fort Desoto. The cold front had come in the night before and when we arrived the following morning there was not a bird to be seen on the beach. A first for me. Upon further investigation I found the little shore birds finding warmth in the small little holes along the beach. I lay down on my stomach and watched these little birds as well as capturing a few images. I love shorebirds and this was a treat for me even though it was cold.

Nikon D300
Nikon 300 F2.8
ISO 400
1/2000, F8
manual
used a blub to cradle my lens.

all comments are appreciated.

Tony Whitehead
11-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Lovely mood in this - really captures that hunkered down against the cold feeling. May be worth trying a slightly cooler colour temp versionto accentuate the feeling - not sure if it would work but it's a thought

Daniel Cadieux
11-15-2008, 06:25 PM
I love how its siting in that small crater :-) Judging by the bill this looks like a Wilson's Plover...

Linda Robbins
11-15-2008, 08:10 PM
It is a Wilson's plover. Nice behavior capture, and he looks pretty comfortable down out of the cold. I like the low perspective a lot. If it were possible to move your position so that you had more frontal lighting, it would have avoided the shadowing on the bird's neck and chest. I stopped in at Ft. DeSoto this morning, and it was pretty quiet.

Axel Hildebrandt
11-15-2008, 08:26 PM
Great angle, details and I like the serene mood. I agree, it looks like a Wilson's Plover.

bill kominsky
11-15-2008, 10:56 PM
Hi Judy it's no opinion Bill again agreeing with all the above, the image is very beautiful and nicely captured, congrats.

Bill

Dominic Cantin
11-16-2008, 02:59 AM
Ho , a nice behaviour scene ! Congrats Judy !

Dom :)

Stu Bowie
11-16-2008, 10:18 AM
Comp wise, I would take a bit off the bottom Judy, as he seems to be quite central. Very well done with the exposure on the whites, and like the feather detail. Well captured Judy.

Judy Lynn Malloch
11-16-2008, 09:12 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments and the correct I.D.