PDA

View Full Version : Okavango egret early morning

Chris van Rooyen
11-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Few photographic experiences are more satisfying to me than being on a boat in Botswana's Okavango Swamps early in the morning. The smells, the birds, the soft morning light all combine to make it an overwhelming sensory experience. THe soft palette of greens, yellows and blues, and the low perspective that the boat offers create the perfect opportunity for creating striking images. I like the quiet serenity of this scene and the dramatic contrast between the white Little Egret and the soft background. Comments are welcome as always.

Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark III
Date/Time: 2008:10:28 06:22:43
Shutter speed: 1/2500 sec
Aperture: 4
Exposure mode: Tv
Exposure compensation: +1/3
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 1000
Focal length: 500mm

Tony Whitehead
11-15-2008, 12:27 PM
This is another beauty, Chris. You description makes me feel that I am there! The light, BG, pose are all lovely. The detail in the whites is awesome and the trailing drops the icing on the cake.

Sabyasachi Patra
11-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Chris,
I agree. Its that incredible feeling that pulls us to those pristine wild places. Lovely image. I would have liked it more if the left top corner would not have been dark. The various horizontal lines create depth in the image. The water droplets add a nice touch. Okavango is in my list of places to visit.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Fabs Forns
11-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Very painterly. Unlike Sabyasachi, I like the darker corner, it adds depth. It's a line of trees, right?

David Fletcher
11-15-2008, 03:57 PM
I'm not a fan of being overly critical to point out minor blemishes that are not really that important to photographers that know better anyway, when in my view, the importance of a image lies in its ability to create a feeling or emotion or tell a story. Therefore, I can only comment that this works perfectly. Have no issues with dark patches in the corner which is preferable to light patches anyway which would be distracting. So all I can say is that this is cool and works 200% for me.

Axel Hildebrandt
11-15-2008, 08:11 PM
Great pose, light, details and BG. The wide crop works for me and I just wish the bird had not passed you.

Chris van Rooyen
11-16-2008, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. Yes, the dark patch is indeed trees. Personally I like the dark patch because it offers variation in the background.

Sabyasachi Patra
11-16-2008, 03:16 AM
I'm not a fan of being overly critical to point out minor blemishes that are not really that important to photographers that know better anyway, when in my view, the importance of a image lies in its ability to create a feeling or emotion or tell a story. Therefore, I can only comment that this works perfectly. Have no issues with dark patches in the corner which is preferable to light patches anyway which would be distracting. So all I can say is that this is cool and works 200% for me.

Hi David,
This forum is meant for every body to share their views, those photographers who know better as well as the rest. There are too many forums around where every image is termed as superb. What is the point in just trying to pat each others back without trying to give constructive suggestions? When you are a seeker of knowledge, you are supposed to be like the Sun. The Sunshine falls on all kinds of water, pure as well as polluted. However, only water is evaporated, not impure substances. A wrong suggestion doesn't matter to a photographer who knows better. He or she will only pickup the right suggestions.

I never thought that an honest view would be misinterpreted. I would again say that this is a lovely image from Chris, as always.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Stu Bowie
11-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Sweet, sweet light Chris, and whites exposed at their best. Another superb image from you.

Rick A. Brown
11-16-2008, 05:43 PM
What a lovely image. I've been wanting to go to the Okavango anyhow, but this image does more to convince me I should go than any I've seen before.