PDA

View Full Version : Leonard Buck Gardens in NJ

denise ippolito
11-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Canon 5D
EF24-105mm
ISO 400
1/320 at f/9

I know this isn't a fanatastic fall shot but I'm mostly posting for feed-back on crop and color- Thanks!

Gus Cobos
11-15-2008, 10:40 AM
Hi Lady Denise,
I like your composition, you have nice fall colors and a lovely reflection...I adjusted your base image to make some enhancements. I used the ruler to correct the slanted water line just a hair CW rotation, I cropped from the bottom to eliminate the over abundance of leaves on the lower left side of the frame.. adjusted contrast and saturation, and opened up the blacks just a tad. see if this presents well with you...:cool:

Roman Kurywczak
11-15-2008, 10:55 AM
Hey Denise,
I see you found one of my favorite places in NJ..........I go there often.........but to do macro work. You should see the bridge with the spring blooms.
As you mentioned.....comp wasn't the strongest nor were the colors...........Gus definitely popped the colors and did a wonderful job on the dark areas. The crop helped.........but it still lacks a strong focal point......even after exploring a bunch of crops. That's a tough place for landscapes......but heaven for macro work.

I usually start going there mid April for the wildflowers..........and trhough early june for other blooms. After that you get the water lillies and frogs........with insects, bugs, and other blooms through the early part of fall.
I'll keep you posted if I am going.

denise ippolito
11-15-2008, 11:11 AM
Thanks Gus I wasn't sure where to crop- I was afraid if I took some off bottom it would put horizon dead center-Is that ok if there is a reflection.

Roman, I went there to take a photo course w/ Brian Szabo-he didn't show(his daughter had 104 temp) So I looked for shots and came up blank-Did see alot of woodpeckers and flower potential -let me know if you go in sring

Robert Amoruso
11-15-2008, 02:28 PM
John Shaw has written that a center horizon is OK when you have a reflection.

The scene is pleasing and Gus' reposted tweaks are excellent. I do find that one red small tree acts, to some extent, as a center of interest. A larger focal point is called for however.