PDA

View Full Version : Coastal Grizzly Bears

Robert Amoruso
12-31-2007, 09:04 AM
Created while co-leading on Artie Morris August 2007 Silver Salmon Creek Lodge/Lake Clark National Park Bear and Puffin IPT in Alaska.

This image won a top one-hundred spot in the 2007 NANPA Showcase and will be on display at the NANPA conference in Destin, FL February of 2008.

(Note: I inadvertently listed this as a top-ten win in the NANPA Showcase. Another image of this chase won top-ten and I will post that one tomorrow. Thanks and sorry for the confusion.)

Canon 1D Mark III
Canon 600mm f/4 IS
1/5000 sec, f/4, AV, Evaluative, No EC, ISO: 800

Jasper Doest
12-31-2007, 09:09 AM
Robert....nice to see you post here. What a terrific post to start with. This is one dynamic photograph to say the least. I just love the interaction between those two bears and you've captured that so nicely in a panoramic frame. One of the best coastal brown bear photographs I have seen and I fully understand why this won a top-ten spot in the 2007 NANPA Showcase. Congrats on such a beautiful photograph! My only nit (I hardly dare to hahaha....is the OOF branch on the right being slightly distracting..)

Alfred Forns
12-31-2007, 10:07 AM
Congrats on the image Robert !!!! Well deserved !!! Stunning capture !!!

Maxis Gamez
12-31-2007, 10:32 AM
Gorgeous. This image tells a whole lot.

Robert Amoruso
12-31-2007, 11:33 AM
Jasper,

I agree with the branch being distracting. I entered this in a few contests, all of which required no cloning manipulation. So that branch remains. Magically, in my personal print, the branch is gone.

I did forget to mention that I created the pano by adding canvas to the right side to give the dark bear room in the frame by stitching in the next image in this sequence. The stitched image includes the branch. Pano stitching is OK in the competition but not cloning out elements. The two bears interaction in this image is contained in one frame. The stitch is only includes room to the right of the dark bear.

Thanks for your comments.

Fabs Forns
12-31-2007, 03:51 PM
Impressive image, with wonderful light to boot!

Judy Lynn Malloch
12-31-2007, 05:15 PM
As mentioned this tells a story and one filled with lots of incredible action. Great image Robert and easy to see why it was chosen as a winner at NANPA. Congratulations !!!

D. Robert Franz
12-31-2007, 05:29 PM
Terrific image Robert.. Man I would love to get up there some day.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-01-2008, 05:12 PM
Fantastic interaction and composition. The branch doesn't bother me.

DanWalters
01-01-2008, 05:52 PM
Great action and great light.

Linda Robbins
01-01-2008, 06:06 PM
Wonderful action and a perfect exposure. The pano crop works really well. Congratulations on your image being chosen as a top ten for NANPA!

Linda

Jean-Philippe Baude
01-05-2008, 07:01 PM
I like this picture.

A very good light and a very good action. The pano format is also very good.

JP