PDA

View Full Version : Grey Seal Silhouette

Jasper Doest
01-17-2008, 03:38 AM
Photographed a couple of weeks ago in the UK. While hosting one of our workshops I didn't really had time to photograph myself....but as all participants were making best of the beautiful light I had time to walk to one of the seals and try a different approach. I had to use a 3 stop ND-grad here to try to show just enough detail in the clouds to make things work. Unfortunately I could only get a couple of images before the sun disappeared behind the clouds. Hopefully I'll be able to spend a bit more time doing the same during my next visit, next week.

Canon EOS1Dmk2N
Canon EF70-200/2.8L IS USM @ 105mm
1/200 @ f/11
ISO160, RAW
Handheld, anglefinder, 3 stop ND-grad

DanWalters
01-17-2008, 06:33 AM
I really like the comp and that sky is beautiful! Nice shot.

Krijn Trimbos
01-17-2008, 08:05 AM
Don't feel alone my friend!! :D Here I am, and with a wonderful comment, for you, I might add. Great shot, while I was shooting seals in the surf from a far to high angle you were actually doing something really different and beautiful. You know I love this shot especially the sunrays touching uppon the seal. The only nit I can think of is the overexposed part of the sky, but I think we already covered that in the 'ballenbak' ;) on the boattrip back to Holland. Have a blast next week buddy.

See ya

Fabs Forns
01-18-2008, 12:59 AM
I can tell your work from the thumbnail :)

Lovely sky, only need a bit more grounding black for y taste.. Well seen and glad you could at least make a couple of images.

D. Robert Franz
01-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Great sky to work with here and I too would like a bit more black FG for an anchor. Unfortunately it's kind of difficult to tell what the seal is... Could be a rock. I had this same problem shooting elephant seals in CA. Only when the bulls reared up was it easy to indentify what the silouette acutally was.