PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use flash at Blackwater or Bombay Hook?

Matt Nichols
11-14-2008, 07:20 PM
I was just wondering if anyone uses flash at Blackwater or Bombay Hook NWR. I don't see people doing it but thought maybe it is frowned upon or not allowed? I was wondering if I should get a flash and better beamer for the next time I visit.
thanks,Matt

Bill Jobes
11-14-2008, 11:57 PM
Hi Matt,

I haven't used flash at BH, but probably will in the future if so moved.

It may be frowned-upon by some, but I can't imagine it's not allowed.

I just happen to enjoy the challenge of trying to make natural light work for me.

-Bill

Matt Nichols
11-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Thanks Bill, just wanting to check before I show up looking like a idiot. I will probably not do it in the near future though.

Earl West
11-17-2008, 01:28 PM
Hi Matt,
No restrictions on flash use at Bombay Hook or Blackwater. I shoot at Bombay Hook almost every weekend. If you're heading to Blackwater before Feb 2009, they have 2/3 of the wildlife drive closed while they replace the bulkheads. I was there 2 weeks ago. Doesn't leave much open. Bombay Hook is really best for early morning shooting. The sun rises to your back for most of the drive in the morning. So you can shoot into the freshwater impoundments with great early morning light. There are still good shots to take in the afternoon it's just better, light wise, in the morning. Happy Shooting, Earl

Matt Nichols
11-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Thanks Earl. I was at Blackwater in October and they said the drive would be open on weekends even with construction. Is that not correct?

Earl West
11-19-2008, 07:25 PM
Hi Matt,
I was there on Sunday a few weeks ago and only about a fourth of the drive is open. If you're familiar with Blackwater, the part of the drive that is open is the last part. You go onto the drive from the middle exit and it goes up around to the other exit. Mostly just the section where the 2 dead trees sit about 150 yards off shore. No trails, I took a hand full of shots at a pair of Eagles on the dead trees but it's really too far even with the 600mm. I just didn't want go home without something.
Happy Shooting
Earl

Matt Nichols
11-21-2008, 10:44 AM
Ok, good to know. Maybe I will wait for awhile to go to Blackwater. My favorite part of the drive is the closed part and Bombay hood has much to offer in the meantime.

thanks,Matt