View Full Version : Low Tide Foggy Overcast Today

Bill Foxworthy
11-14-2008, 06:30 PM
Canon 40D, 100-400 L,
1/4000, f/4.5, ISO 400, Eval metering.

Robert Amoruso
11-15-2008, 09:04 AM
Bill,

I am struggling for the center of interest here. The birds are too small to serve as the Center of Interest and overall there is not much to grab the eye in this image.

Not that it is unpleasing compositionally as the shoreline with trees and the different colored low tide line wraps from the left to right in a curve and leads the viewer through the image. It is that my eye finds nothing to rest on.

I did a curves adjustment on the image to darken the sky and then masked out the FG to give the sky more drama and even out the tonality with the FG.

Roman Kurywczak
11-15-2008, 09:57 AM
Hi Bill,
I too, like Robert, did struggle with this composition. Even though the shoreline is slightly curved.......there just isn't emough going on with the textures and tones to pull it off. Robert's PP did correct the sky dramatically IMO........but there still isn't enough of a focal point to draw and hold the viewer in the frame.
I will say that a grad ND.........in the field.....would have yielded similar results as Robert's PP......and we both recommend getting it right in the field first.