PDA

View Full Version : Snake in the Grass

Kenn Christensen
01-17-2008, 01:33 AM
Wild Prarie Rattlesnake found in Badlands National Monument in South Dakota in early October.. on a warm sunny afternoon. I laid face to face to take the shot.. he was totally torpid and didnt mind at all.
f13
1/80
iso640
70mm fl
handheld

Robert Amoruso
01-17-2008, 09:51 AM
Kenn,

You did a nice job using the snakes body to lead the viewer into the image at the upper left. I would crop the top a bit to get the snakes body coming out of the corner. I am not sure if I would have liked more room at the bottom, perhaps a tad so it did not feel so cramped.

An alternate composition here would be head-on and let the body come in from the right. That might have also helped to get the diagonal grass out of the right of the image. You did a good job showing the snake in a confusing environment. The only part of it I find distracting and drawing my eye is the diagonal grass on the right of the image.

Thanks for posting.

D. Robert Franz
01-17-2008, 11:58 AM
You had a tough situation to work with. Snake photography can be very difficult. I agree with Roberts suggestions.. The head of the snake might also be a bit to close the the corner of the frame. A little more room there might be nice.

Jesse Ivan
01-17-2008, 10:15 PM
I love it. The snake is relaxed and comfortable with you photographing it. I might also try tilting the camera towards the back of the snake to get just a little more depth of field.