PDA

View Full Version : Dunlin

Jonathan Michael Ashton
11-14-2008, 12:02 PM
I thought this looked a little different in B&W, it works for me - what is your opinion?:cool:

Canon 20D Canon 500mm f4 L IS plus Canon 1.4TC Mk1 Gitzo plus Mongoose in a raging wind!
ISO 200 +0.33
1/250 sec @ f5.6

Thanks for looking

Jon

Judy Lynn Malloch
11-14-2008, 12:37 PM
The B&W is appealing to me and my only question would be with the horizon It appears that it needs a CW rotation.

Arthur Morris
11-14-2008, 12:39 PM
I love it; this is superb in B&W. I like the grasses, the three Grey Plovers, and what looks like a single Sanderling... Looks as if it might could use a bit of CW rotation.

Tony Whitehead
11-14-2008, 12:47 PM
Beautiful shot. Only suggestion is to lighten the 2 dark areas in the BG top right. Definitely different and definitely works for me.

Fabs Forns
11-14-2008, 12:52 PM
It looks like a beautiful illustration, and yes, it does need a bit of rotation. Well done!

Chris van Rooyen
11-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Yup, refreshingly different. Works for me

Doug Brown
11-14-2008, 01:39 PM
It's nice to see something different that works so well. I like it a lot.

Wayne Richardson
11-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Hi Jonathan

Nice B&W image of winter shorebirds.

However, most of these are Knot, with as others have mentioned, Sandeling & Grey Plover. There are some Dunlin in the image too though.

It is worth bearing in mind that, using Sanderling as a yardstick, American Dunlin are as big or bigger, but European Dunlin are smaller or much smaller. Some males of the smaller races actually overlap in size with Western Sandpiper!

Cheers: Wayne

Peregrine Craig Nash
11-14-2008, 02:34 PM
I really like this Jonathan a refreshing change. Maybe some more black and whites would be nice.

Linda Robbins
11-14-2008, 03:16 PM
I like this a lot....it really works well in black and white. Well done!

Axel Hildebrandt
11-14-2008, 03:47 PM
I like the mood, agree on CW rotation and only wish the birds were flying toward you.

Jonathan Michael Ashton
11-15-2008, 04:22 AM
Hi Jonathan

Nice B&W image of winter shorebirds.

However, most of these are Knot, with as others have mentioned, Sandeling & Grey Plover. There are some Dunlin in the image too though.

It is worth bearing in mind that, using Sanderling as a yardstick, American Dunlin are as big or bigger, but European Dunlin are smaller or much smaller. Some males of the smaller races actually overlap in size with Western Sandpiper!

Hi Wayne,
at first I thought the vast majority were Knot, but they have much paler coloured legs, many of these birds have dark legs and were predominantly grey in colour which was why I concluded they were mostly Dunlin as opposed to Knot. I do agree however there is a mixture of species present.

Regards rotation, I got it wrong, in fact I had to rotate the image CCW so I reckon I have overdone it a little. Thanks to everyone for your comments I really do appreciate them.

Jon

Mike Tracy
11-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Having done numerous B/W conversions in other genres I must say you nailed this one perfectly.

Wayne Richardson
11-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Hi Wayne,
at first I thought the vast majority were Knot
Jon

Your initial view was spot-on & I've taken the liberty of re-posting your image with the Dunlin (red dots) & Sanderling (yellow dots) highlighted. Even in B&W it is fairly straightforward to ID the 3 species as follows:

The larger Knot have grey rumps & delicately patterned underwings/flanks.
Sanderling (palest grey) & Dunlin (darkest grey) have pure white underwings & a dark line through rump & tail.All 3 have prominent white wing stripe, a feature that is most prominent on Sanderling.

Craig Markham
11-16-2008, 02:37 AM
I love it. The B&W makes the image all about the flurry of movement. Thanks for the ID key, Wayne!

Sabyasachi Patra
11-16-2008, 04:03 AM
Jonathan,
What a refreshing change. We hardly see B&W images in this forum. I used to do B&W shots during my college days but hardly see any these days, despite the ease of conversion. I like this image. The two black spots at the top seems to be houses?
Cheers,
Sabyasachi