PDA

View Full Version : Glowing Grass

Tom Shaffer
11-13-2008, 05:31 PM
Glowing Grass in irrigation ditch near Cortez, Colorado (Bill Randall?s Horse Ranch). Early morning back lighted.
Camera: Sony A700 f:5 @ 1/200 90 mm

Robert Amoruso
11-15-2008, 08:48 AM
Tom,

I think if you would have gone in tight on the grass stems and seed heads you would have something here. As presented the OOF stalks in the front are distracting and the BG (bright UL corner and yellow seed heads) draws attention from the center of interest.

Roman Kurywczak
11-15-2008, 09:46 AM
Hi Tom,
Robert brings up some excellent points. These type of images often benenfit from isolation and great care must be taken when composing. As Robert mentioned.....the FG btush and brighter BG grasses compete with the main subject grasses.......and trying to find a more isolated........nicer shaped patch may have helped. The lighting looked excellent......but these are very difficult to pull off compositionally and in this case doesn't work for me because of all the distractions.

Tom Shaffer
11-15-2008, 12:27 PM
Robert,
Thank you for your comments. I would have preferred that the grass in the lower corners be in focus be in focus too, but that was not possible. Even stopping down to f:32 would not have given me enough DOF and then the shutter speed would not have stopped the rustling of the grass. This was an early morning shot. As for the bright spot in the upper left corner, I have no problem with that. I zoomed the scene looking at a tighter composition and found it too static. As taken, the eye first sees the grass heads in the middle but then moves around to the other parts of the picture. If the center of interest is the only thing in the picture then the viewer looks at the picture and moves on. I got over the technical aspects of photography many years ago; I prefer to think of it as an art form.
Thank you again, your insights are always useful even if my take is different from yours.