PDA

View Full Version : Least, Willow or Alder

Paul Lagasi
11-13-2008, 02:45 PM
For me these are the toughest birds to identify, photo was taken at Laguna Atascosa Wildlife Refuge in Texas. In April 2007 while searching for Aplomado Falcon's (not found), this little flycatcher sat there sunning himself, tough time deciding which flycatcher this is....unless you hear them singing...

Wayne Richardson
11-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Hi Paul

I understand the Empidonax group are an ID nightmare, so will only make an observation here. Of the 3 species you mentioned, the incomplete eye-ring suggests Willow. :confused:

Cheers: Wayne

PS: You may be interested to know that an Alder Flycatcher was found in Cornwall, UK only last month & represents the 1st ever British Empidonax record. I note that Willow was under consideration & it was only positively ID'd when trapped (controlled).

John Chardine
11-14-2008, 07:12 AM
Bird also shows "distinct peak on rear crown" which Sibley gives as a Willow field mark. I think Wayne has it.

Dan Brown
11-14-2008, 08:56 AM
Hi Paul. I agree with the Empid ID nightmare and will add my observation that the primary tip projection on your bird is "very" long, much longer than any of the species you are considering, which would indicate Acadian FC? The color doesn't look quite right for this species, but the PTP matches what I am seeing in my Nat.Geo 5th Edition field guide:o

Taylor Yeager
11-19-2008, 11:02 AM
It is surely one of the 3. ;-)