View Full Version : Approaching Storm

Kenn Christensen
01-17-2008, 01:01 AM
f18
iso 400
1/160
-.33 ev
handheld
Was heading for Devils Tower when I noticed this tree standing alone with a nasty little thunderstorm heading its way.

John Cooper
01-17-2008, 03:53 AM
You have conveyed the the drama happening in the sky Kenn, and I like your placement of the lone tree on the rules of thirds - works well!

Robert Amoruso
01-17-2008, 09:46 AM
Hi Kenn,

You have a nice composition here that can be strengthened by cropping top and bottom as I have down below. I like the diagonal lines of the hills, the darkness in the far-off storm and drama of the clouds.

Paul Marcellini
01-17-2008, 09:09 PM
I really like Robert's crop suggestion. Even without, composition is great.

Terry Eddington
01-17-2008, 09:43 PM
The dramatic clouds of the approaching storm, the blue of the sky and the lone tree are all strong components. I don't find the foreground that interesting and would consider a pano crop variation, about 1/2" from the left side and up to within a 1/2" of the sky (on the leftside), maybe a hair off the top. The lone tree is a great focus point and placed well in the photo. I can see why you stopped. I would have, too.

David Kennedy
01-18-2008, 02:17 PM
I have a more extreme suggested crop from Roberts--it just depends on what you are trying to emphasize.

I think the clouds are absolutely phenomenal this might make for an even more dramatic effect.