PDA

View Full Version : color cast

Scott Grant
11-13-2008, 09:42 AM
...not sure if i have this in the correct forum or no...certainly hope so! :)

for a while i noticed that everything i printed with my Canon pro9000 every print was coming out with a magenta cast.

after a while the color cast has switched to a blue.

i've tried checking color profiles for monitor/printer, i've uninstalled and reinstalled the canon print software, i've tried printing thru both Capture NX2 and Lightroom, all with the same results. i've tried every type of test print using the canon software utilities included with printer. all the tests show nothing clogged and all colors print fine in test. i've tried different paper, you name it.

i'm at my wits end here. all i can print is black and white, which fortunately comes out fine.

does anyone have any suggestions? anything would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance!

Scott Grant

Jackie Schuknecht
11-13-2008, 09:55 AM
Wondering if it might help to reinstall your software/driver???

Scott Grant
11-13-2008, 10:52 AM
Jackie....

i've uninstalled and reinstalled the canon print software

:)

not sure what else i could uninstall/reinstall?

Alfred Forns
11-13-2008, 11:19 AM
Hi Scott that is strange

Were you able to print with normal tones or you always had a cast? If you have made no changes but did have a shift from magenta to blue maybe there is something going on with the heads? Might not have anything to do with it but would do a head cleaning. Do a test print so you can check before and after.

btw for printing information I downloaded the Luminous Landscape Video on Printing and was informative. Most and best info I've seen on printing !!!

john crookes
11-13-2008, 12:44 PM
It would help if you gave us your normal workflow and the settings you are using

Scott Grant
11-13-2008, 01:59 PM
hi Alfred, thanks for the reply.

for the first year i had this printer it worked fantastic! i couldn't have asked for any better. what i saw on screen was almost identical to the print.

i'm pretty certain that i've cleaned the heads Alfred. i've tried ever bit of maintenance i can find in canon's printing software. when i do these tests all colors print where they should and in the tone that they should. everything in test looks AOK!

also, thanks for the thumbs up on the LL video. i'm a big fan of LL, have read pretty much every article. i would certainly consider getting the instructional video.

John, here's an example of my workflow.

i shoot with D200 and D300, both set to Adobe RGB color space. i shoot RAW only. i process in Capture NX2. processing usually consists of setting black and white points, maybe adding a little saturation and sharpening. normally i'd use Capture NX2's print utility to print the photo. i open the utility, select paper size and printer. color management is set to print using Adobe RGB color space, intent set to 'perceptual'. i choose the type of paper i'm about to print with (ex. gloss, matte, or photorag, etc.) and set print quality to high. with cup of coffee in hand i patiently wait for the print to roll out. unfortunatly, the results aren't worth the wait recently. :(

am i missing something? maybe missing everything? :confused:

john crookes
11-13-2008, 02:43 PM
are you turning off the color management in the printer and using the paper profile
it sounds like mismatched profiles
or double color management

when you test the colors you are using the printer for settings wheen you print from nx2 you are using the settings from that and have to turn off color management in the printer dialoque

Jackie Schuknecht
11-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Just another thought, could it be your USB port. Should you try another. I have ports at the back and front and someone told me the ports at the back of the CPU are better than the ones at the front. Are you using a firewire connection, do you need a new cable, perhaps try a different cable. Couldn't think of anything else! Maybe it needs a trip into Canon. How old is the printer?

denise ippolito
11-14-2008, 01:05 PM
Scott, I have the same printer and my printer doesn't respond well to certain paper .Glossy works fine -but if I try to use some of the mattes I have a problem, even when I match up paper profiles.Interested in outcome. I'm prob. going to get an epson

Alfred Forns
12-01-2008, 08:57 AM
Denise if you get an Epson look a the 3800 !! Has been working great for me !!!

Irv Heilweil
12-02-2008, 12:08 AM
Try to print in sRGB

Alfred Forns
12-02-2008, 08:48 AM
Hi Irv Print in sRBG? Not sure why would you want to do that, could you explain.